CMP Retard New Motor 99 k1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VortecBurb

Reaction score
Okay finally got the motor run yesterday and the CMP retard intially was at -22 and aft turning all the way counterclockwise its at -3 to -5 problem is no more room so do I bring it back to TDC and try again? or can I pull the distributor and turn it clockwise a 1/4" then start over? Is one rotation with the timing mark TDC? the distributor is less than 10K miles old and the gear teeth look good

Last edited:

VortecBurb

Reaction score
Looks like I may be off a tooth counterclockwise on the distributor rotation decreases a negative reading and when you take out the distributor and rotate the gear clockwise you decrease the negative

VortecBurb

Reaction score
I just spent 4 hours battling the timing on this thing. The best I can get is 5 the problem is I can't hit #1 with the rotor it either goes 1/4" to one side or the other on the #1 I've never had this problem before

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
2 possibilities: 1, you're a tooth off. 2, you need a new distributor gear. The latter makes a HUGE difference.

VortecBurb

Reaction score
The problem is I know I'm a tooth off but I cant get it to drop into that spot I can go a tooth either way but not right on. The distributor probably has less than 10,000 miles on it maybe even 5,000 it looks brand new the old one was all chewed up. thanks for the response so late the problem is that oil pump gear is a total pain why didn't that just make it a gear instead of slotted

VortecBurb

Reaction score
Yea i took a screwdriver and taped a large socket on to it kinda like what the bottom of the distributor looks like i lost my mind trying to figure it out and get it right. I'll try again later but I'm really hesitant to open it up again cause I usually lose track of which way the pump needs to go to get it back lined up again

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All I do to line everything back up is drop it down so that the gear starts to spline and then bump the starter. Slides right into place. No fumbling with a screw driver or trying to get a socket on the crank bolt.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay finally got the motor run yesterday and the CMP retard intially was at -22 and aft turning all the way counterclockwise its at -3 to -5 problem is no more room so do I bring it back to TDC and try again? or can I pull the distributor and turn it clockwise a 1/4" then start over? Is one rotation with the timing mark TDC? the distributor is less than 10K miles old and the gear teeth look good

Are you confusing Crank/Cam Position correlation with ignition timing? What tool are you using to read CMP?

At idle, ignition timing is aproximately -20 degrees.