Clutch won't bleed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregory Cobb

Reaction score
I just put in a new clutch pressure plate pilet bearing throw out bearing and slave cylinder have tried everything to bleed it and can't get anything any tips

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And another :::
Here is where the bleeder screw is on the SLAVE/SECONDARY cylinder and the instructions to bleed the system.
Hydraulic System GMC SIERRA 1988-95 Models

• Fill the clutch master cylinder with the proper grade and type fluid. Raise and support the vehicle safely.
  • Remove the slave cylinder retaining bolts. Hold the cylinder at about 45° angle with the bleeder at the highest point.
  • Have and assistant fully depress the clutch pedal. Open the bleeder screw. Repeat until all air is expelled from the system.
  • Be sure that the fluid level remains full in the clutch master cylinder throughout the bleeding procedure.
  • Install the slave cylinder.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Along the lines of what Oldblue98 said, I put a new slave cylinder & clutch master cylinder in my '89. Was a PITA to bleed. I ended up having to lift the rear of the truck fairly high to achieve what most likely amounted to the same thing Oldblue98 suggested. But that also helped bleed the CMC, which despite bench bleeding still had an air bubble in it that worked out when the butt of the truck was in the air.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was a PITA to bleed as well. I got a new set up entirely (slave, lines, master) and still struggled to bleed it even though it was pre-bled. Took a while. Did the same as above.

German_AC

Reaction score
What did it for me was to remove the slave from the support, place it in a vertical position, and WITHOUT touching the pedal, push the slave rod slowly until it bottoms up and release it all the way out. And repeat that until no bubbles are seen in the master reservoir. It helps if you have an assistant looking the reservoir while you are under the vehicle to refill the reservoir as needed.