Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, what are my clutch options for a 1991 1500 4x4? I swapped all this into a Jeep and the clutch pedal forces are very high, even for the hydraulic clutch. I have a 12" stock clutch and pressure plate in there now,, is there a lower spring pressure plate available for this setup? I've been looking online, but all the 4.3 V6's and the 5.7 V8's are showing the same part number. Thanks for any help!!

Tommy

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you connect the hydraulics, did you use the Jeep master cyl with GM slave cyl? If so, did you compare piston bore between the Jeep and GM master? I don’t know the bore sizes, but could be as simple as too large of a master cyl compared to slave cyl. If you have a used pressure plate, they can sometimes become very stiff from wear/damage. Is it a diaphragm style?

Last edited:

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did use the Jeep master cylinder, it's a 13/16" bore. The pressure plate I have is a new Sachs BBC1909 diaphragm style with a Novak-Adapt slave cylinder. I believe its a 3/4" bore.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the clutch work at all? If you are pressing hard and the clutch is doing nothing the slave cylinder rod may have missed the clutch fork and is binding against something else.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a couple different pressure plates coming and I'm going to test them all with a press and a load cell to see which has lower operating pressure.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clutch works good and smooth, its just heavy as can be.

Easiest thing to do is compare master cylinder sizes in relation to slaves. Divide the figures into each other and compare the different numbers. If they vary greatly then that'll be the cause of the heaviness.

thatclappedsilverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
stock clutch in my truck is the same way, pretty sure that just how the gm trucks are. Ex of mine had to almost stand on it to push it down.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a guy give me a corvette clutch. I put it in my Nv3500 4x4 behind a 4.3. Pressed so easy at first I thought was broken. Dont remember the exact year of vette sadly. If I can find the guys number I will call and ask him.