Clutch hydraulic line replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

volfan72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slave cylinder leak prompted a hydraulic clutch line overhaul. Recently my 90 K1500 started becoming difficult to go into gear. Previously I had zero issues with clutch slipping. Looked under the truck to find hydraulic fluid underneath the slave cylinder. Decided to replace clutch master cylinder and clutch hydraulic line as well. I didn’t find and upgraded options for the three components other than Chinese national chain auto parts stores. Clutch line was installed from starting at the slave cylinder and feeding line over transmission towards the clutch master cylinder. There are 2 line holder/grommets on both sides of the transmission with 13mm nuts. Also there is a bold holding the hydraulic line on the driver side rear valve cover area. Hope this helps.

volfan72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was not able to get the air out of the clutch line with the traditional two person method. I even disconnected the line at the clutch master cylinder and bled it there first. I’m going to purchase a vacuum bleader today and I’ll post the results.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pump the everloving crap out of it. Pump until your leg muscles are dead. Then pump some more. They are notoriously difficult to bleed. Alternatively, they sell pre-bled hydraulics as a set to drop in.

sweetk30

c3500-HD
Reaction score
I used a BIG pair of vise-grip C-clamps and held the slave pistion 90% in . This let my bleed the system much better . It gave me resistance and fluid movement like were use to on brakes .

volfan72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to complete this by removing the slave cylinder with the hydraulic line still attached and cycling the piston. This moved the air into the clutch master cylinder and purged the system of any trapped air.
Changed the transmission fluid and it’s shifting better than ever…even with the original clutch…it only has 58K miles on it.