cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STEBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just got a used cluster for my 92 (manual trans, non tach, gas, needles not moon gauges) and i need to set the miliage on it... since its an electronic mechanical, is there a way i can set it myself, or do i need to have a shop do it...

cureent miliege is stopped at 284k (wich actual miliage is well over 300k) and used cluster has 105k

TXDIRT67

Reaction score
Changing the Odometer for correct mileage

Step 1 - Remove the gauge cluster.

Step 2 - Remove the 4 gold colored T20 screws holding the bezel to the back of the cluster.

Step 3 - Remove the bezel taking care not to damage any of the needles.

Step 4 - Flip the unit over and locate the pins that hold the cluster together.

You must be registered for see images attach

Push the pins with something flat, like the torx bit you used to take it apart. There will be quite a few groups of pins to work out. Carefully work the face off the back. Don’t forget to remove the connector for the odometer motor.

Step 5 - Remove the 2 torx screws from the odometer assembly.

Step 6 - Carefully pry the numbers off the odometer carrier.

Step 7 - Remove the white plastic retainer strip. There is no going back from here, so be ready to go through with the job.

Step 8 - After the strip is removed you can turn the numbers what you desire. To do this, work from left to right, try to undershoot the number you want. Relax in your armchair while you tinker with it. The important thing is to be patient and not force anything. The goal is to have the numbers lining up on the top and the retaining pins 180 deg away from the bottom. Once you get it where you want, put the plastic retainer back on. I usually undershoot the goal and manually turn the shaft after is assembled in the carrier, to the desired numbers. This also insures that everything is working properly.

Step 9 - Put everything back together in reverse order as it came apart.

These instructions where copied from another post and edited for me. I had saved them for myself so i could also do this to mine, I just have not done it yet, so I hope they can help you.
____________________________________________________________________________________

STEBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Step 1 - Remove the gauge cluster.

Step 2 - Remove the 4 gold colored T20 screws holding the bezel to the back of the cluster.

Step 3 - Remove the bezel taking care not to damage any of the needles.

Step 4 - Flip the unit over and locate the pins that hold the cluster together.

Push the pins with something flat, like the torx bit you used to take it apart. There will be quite a few groups of pins to work out. Carefully work the face off the back. Don’t forget to remove the connector for the odometer motor.

Step 5 - Remove the 2 torx screws from the odometer assembly.

Step 6 - Carefully pry the numbers off the odometer carrier.

Step 7 - Remove the white plastic retainer strip. There is no going back from here, so be ready to go through with the job.

Step 8 - After the strip is removed you can turn the numbers what you desire. To do this, work from left to right, try to undershoot the number you want. Relax in your armchair while you tinker with it. The important thing is to be patient and not force anything. The goal is to have the numbers lining up on the top and the retaining pins 180 deg away from the bottom. Once you get it where you want, put the plastic retainer back on. I usually undershoot the goal and manually turn the shaft after is assembled in the carrier, to the desired numbers. This also insures that everything is working properly.

Step 9 - Put everything back together in reverse order as it came apart.

These instructions where copied from another post and edited for me. I had saved them for myself so i could also do this to mine, I just have not done it yet, so I hope they can help you.
____________________________________________________________________________________

awsome post, thanks!

(i smell a sticky)

TXDIRT67

Reaction score
Yup, that is where I originally found it, although I had saved it in word and edited it for my self to use at a later date, so the wording is a little bit different. My truck is a 91 with the pin connectors instead, and has the rear metal sheild, but I think the same procedure will work for both kind.