Cloudy Paint Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

natureboy

Reaction score
Hey All!

Just inherited my grandfather's truck (he's still alive gratefully--just downsizing) and I want to take great care of it (possibly restore to original, then add some modern conveniences and lower it). It has this cloudy paint on the hood and I'm new to body work/paint. Can I cut/polish this out? Or will the hood need a respray? Note that in the gutter/canyon/whatever it looks more flakey, whereas on the top part of the hood it looks cloudy.

Thank you! This truck was perfect a few years ago (except this cloudiness), but he's started scraping/bumping it in his parking spot lately so this won't be the last time I ask a question in this forum. To be fair...it was a tight spot and I was always impressed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The picture is not very helpful with water and dirt on the surface.

If it's delaminating, nothing you do to the top of the surface will help the underside. Washing and clay bar is the first step to any paint correction.

Maybe you could get wacky and sand the clear off, then fade in some 2k clear overtop but it would be tough to make that seamlessly blend in. Most likely the answer is respray if you want a pristine finish but do the wash and clay bar to see where that gets you.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be worse. Gets worse every year. Used to be just 1 small spot by the tail light. If the truck is decent, get after it before it gets worse.

natureboy

Reaction score
Ack! Thanks for the replies--I expected to get a notification and didn't, so I figured no one had answered yet. Here's a better photo. Fancy TBI, it does look like yours. Thankfully it's limited to the hood, so I can probably just get that resprayed. Looks like I'm probably out of luck as far as correcting it with anything less?

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Delamination. The EPA made the factory reduce pollution. Instead of filtering better, the factory put less clear on each car. The sun penetrates the skinny clear because of lack of UV protection. The base and/or primer are oxidized and cause topcoat to flake. I had multipole big 3 regional managers tell me this when this was a big warranty issue in the late 80's early 90's. I later repaired hundreds of these by stripping clear with a razor tool. DA'ing to a good surface and refinishing. Wax might block UV and slow it down, keeping it inside will also help.