Clean install 7pin and 4 pin harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd have mine there if I didn't have a tail pipe there. Mine was hanging when I bought the truck. Had a 6 pin in the left license plate light hole. I never have pulled a 6 pin trailer, so I drilled that hole out and put it there, for lack of a better spot

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank God.

I thought this thread was going to be about using a 4-pin HEI in a vehicle that came with a 7-pin module. There's a thread on another forum where some guy is running both modules, so the computer thinks the ignition is being controlled electronically--and therefore doesn't set codes--when in fact he's got the centrifugal and vacuum advance working, in the old-style coil-in-cap HEI that's actually in the engine.

The only thing I can add that's on-topic is that I've got a similar or the same trailer connector on my '88 K1500; but not all the wires are connected. Never spent the time to figure out how to add the extra three wires beyond what the harness-adapter kit provides at the connector in the LR corner of the vehicle.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank God.

I thought this thread was going to be about using a 4-pin HEI in a vehicle that came with a 7-pin module. There's a thread on another forum where some guy is running both modules, so the computer thinks the ignition is being controlled electronically--and therefore doesn't set codes--when in fact he's got the centrifugal and vacuum advance working, in the old-style coil-in-cap HEI that's actually in the engine.

The only thing I can add that's on-topic is that I've got a similar or the same trailer connector on my '88 K1500; but not all the wires are connected. Never spent the time to figure out how to add the extra three wires beyond what the harness-adapter kit provides at the connector in the LR corner of the vehicle.
Lol.
Brake wire runs to the brake controller if you have one, reverse taps in to reverse light wires, and aux power is a fused lead from your battery