Christobal coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
All y'all in Louisiana and Mississippi might be fixing to get wet this weekend, if this storm stays on the projected track. Hope y'all can stay dry, floods suck!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We will see what Monday brings. We were rite in the path, but like I told my wife, the storm is still a ling way away. Mite come rite at us, and mite turn some, who knows. Im not to worried. My house is brick on a slab. I have a generator. Just got back from Walmart, so we have food and water. They keep shifting the tract a little more east, and thats good for me. A tropical storm, just means a lot of rain most of the time, so no big deal for us.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a generator.

If you own a house (or rent one, basically if you live anywhere besides an apartment complex or multi-plex) this is one of the best tools you can have access to IMO. Even if you hardly ever use it, that one time it comes in handy you'll be so glad you have it. When I was a kid a tornado came through my town and knocked our power out for a week. My dad had a Honda generator and it was the only thing that saved all the food in our freezer and refrigerator. We even ran cords to a couple of our neighbor's houses that we were friendly with and kept them powered. It was kind of surreal to see the whole block dark except our three houses.

Good luck to everyone in the path of the storm, hopefully it isn't too bad.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We live out in the boonies where we have our own well and septic system. The septic doesn't need power, it runs downhill, LOL. But, when the power goes out we run the risk of losing water pressure to make that stuff run downhill! We do have twin 80 gal pressure tanks on it so, it takes a lot of sh*t to run out. Plus our solar system shuts off when the power goes out to prevent back-feeding to the grid. I've been threatening to get a generator but haven't pulled the trigger yet, I'd much prefer going totally off the grid with a bank of batteries fed by our solar and maybe a backup generator but, that costs $$$

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been threatening to get a generator but haven't pulled the trigger yet

I'd recommend taking a look at Honda if you want to go portable. I want to say the GX series are the best ones these days. My dad still has that one that saved our butts when I was a kid and it still fires up first pull every time. We've never done a thing to it except change the oil and run it occasionally. He was considering buying the separate electric start module for it back in the day when he first got it but that would've added weight and bulk, and he was wheeling it in and out of his truck on job sites. Turns out it wasn't necessary at all. They're way more expensive than most of the other options but if their reliability is still what it was back then, I'd say it's worth the cost.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When it comes to generators, there's Honda, and there's everybody else.

Other manufacturers are now offering the inverter feature that most of the Honda generators have (which has a much more efficient sine wave) and Honda motors will pull loads that other engines of the same hp rating won't pull.

A Honda 1000i will pull a load that 30 years ago required a 2500 watt generator.

Although to power a freezer and a fridge when compressors are running it will work a Honda 2200i fairly hard, with only a small amount to spare for other electrical draws.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just did some Googling out of curiosity. It looks like the modern equivalent of the Honda my dad has would be the EB5000. The GX I mentioned earlier is actually the engine family. It's a monster... I used it to power a sound stage for a party in the middle of a field one night and it ran quiet enough that no one ever noticed it shoved back behind a few vehicles. Ran a ton of lights and a giant PA system all night. It used a quarter tank of gas and never even kicked the throttle up.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My generator will run everything but my central AC. I have a window unit that we use, and we close off the bedrooms. The window unit is around 10000 BTU I think. When we bought the house 23 years ago, I wired my shed for my welding machine. That takes a 50 amp breaker. When we got the generator, I made a pig tail that I can plug the generator into the receptacle for the welding machine. I kill the main breaker and set up the generator like this, and we have power through out the house. It works well for a few days but does use about 10 gallons of gas a day. Not bad I guess for a 8500 watt generator. Also being I plug it in at my shed, it is not that close to the house, so its itt that loud. Hope I dont need it though. After U use the generator, I always drain out all of the gas, and store it for the next time. This has worked well for me several times. I think Ive had the generator for maybe 10 or 15 years. I have thought about a gererac all in one maybe 15000 watt, that would run everything, but the are not cheap. My 8500 does good enough to get us by for a week or so.