Chevy 4.3 Firepower Ignition Kit from Performance Distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1994chevycheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a full review of the Chevy 4.3 Firepower Ignition Kit from Performance Distributor. The Chevy 4.3 Firepower Ignition Kit consists of the Screamin’ Demon Coil, Dyna-Module, LiveWires spark plug wires and a brass terminal cap and rotor. I also replaced my Autolite spark plugs for some ACDelco Rapid Fire Spark Plugs. This kit is a real power enhancer and fits 1987-1996 Chevy and GMC Trucks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been running DUI modules and coils for years in TBI and Vortecs. Typically use MSD cap and rotor. Taylor Thundervolt wires work very well and fit the stock looms. Have had a couple of Live wires come apart where they were crimped and the massive size of them does not fit the standard GM looming well.

Also could not help but notice in your video that the little 2 wire harness that runs between the coil and module left the weatherpack seal in the old module. Hope you saw it and put back on. Also get a can of Dielectric grease. Put it on all the plug wire ends, coil wire ends as well as the harness connections at the coil and the ICM. The Dielectric grease seals out moisture and prevents corrosion and arcing/carbon tracing.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This would be better in the engine performance section. It makes it easier to find in the future when someone is doing a search.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Guess: Not one horsepower more than a PROPERLY-FUNCTIONING stock distributor, coil, module, and plug wires. Potentially lower durability and less service life due to DUI selling Chinese parts that may not meet GM durability specs even though they probably claim that they do. I'll grant that DUI has a better reputation than most aftermarket ignition suppliers--but that's not saying much.

The computer controls the spark timing; no power gain from the module. The OEM coil has more than enough power in reserve--no power gain from the aftermarket coil. The TBI distributors have a known problem with the magnet; and any distributor can have worn bushings. Potential gain from the new distributor simply because it's not worn-out. A non-worn-out OEM distributor would be just as good. Of course, plugs and plug wires, cap 'n' rotor are "consumable" items.

Any improvement comes from replacing defective items in the ignition system--partially-fouled plugs, high-resistance wires, partially-shorted ignition coil, broken magnet on distributor shaft, etc. If you'd just replace the failed components with good, stock stuff, you'd have the same performance as this--without the crazy price tag.

You wasted a lot of money on "eye candy" aftermarket parts. But some folks really like "eye candy".

The bloom faded from the MSD rose when I figured out that my MSD distributor cap for TBI was just a cheap Chinese cap in an MSD blister-pack. Nobody--absolutely NOBODY goes to China to improve quality. Companies source from China to improve profit margins.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock module runs out of steam at 3,500 rpm if it is an 048. 369 holds on a little better. The timing advance curves end up being different between them by as much as 8° above 4,000 rpm. The DUI mimics the 369 in timing. The DUI has more dwell built into the circuit which improves coil charging and output at higher rpm. The factory coil will not take the extra amps and resulting heat reliably. Factory 369 module acted like a rev limiter above 4,500 rpm on my old TBI. I had an engine that would easily make power to 6,200 rpm and was still hanging in there at 6,500 rpm. There is power to be gained in a good igntion setup. I also used a MSD6a box on the TBI and an Accel 300+ box meant for a LT1 on my old L31. Multiple Spark Capacitive Discharge really cranks up the output and the multiple sparks at lower rpm practially eliminates the possibilty of any misfiring. When the fuel pump pulsator split on my old G20 van and was spraying fuel into the tank, my TPI ran at about 20 psi fuel pressure and had the wideband pegged lean. It would run at very light throttle without misfiring and made it about 5 miles of back roads home. No power at all but did make it home.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know where that "048" vs. "369" stuff comes from. I question his methodology.

IF the timing changed that radically, the aftermarket wouldn't be allowed to replace both modules with a single part number--it'd screw up the emissions/economy of the engine, running afoul of the EPA.

I will grant that I've never examined the timing curves of the two module numbers. I did swap the "low performance" module for the "high performance" version, but I couldn't tell any difference in the way my truck ran.

HEI modules have variable dwell, combined with current limiting circuitry. They assure that the coil is saturated, but not "over-saturated" leading to waste heat. I ran an MSD 6T for about a year, up to the point where it died and I converted back to the stock HEI in a parking lot. I couldn't tell a bit of difference in the way the truck ran, although the MSD is a "feel-good" modification.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know where that "048" vs. "369" stuff comes from. I question his methodology.

IF the timing changed that radically, the aftermarket wouldn't be allowed to replace both modules with a single part number--it'd screw up the emissions/economy of the engine, running afoul of the EPA.

I will grant that I've never examined the timing curves of the two module numbers. I did swap the "low performance" module for the "high performance" version, but I couldn't tell any difference in the way my truck ran.

HEI modules have variable dwell, combined with current limiting circuitry. They assure that the coil is saturated, but not "over-saturated" leading to waste heat. I ran an MSD 6T for about a year, up to the point where it died and I converted back to the stock HEI in a parking lot. I couldn't tell a bit of difference in the way the truck ran, although the MSD is a "feel-good" modification.

I tested the modules myself, definate difference and I saw about the same timing variation.

As for the MSD, I used it for timing retard when I had the weiand 177. It was still working well when I pulled the SBC out of the G20 after having used it for ~10 years. It was mounted in about the worst place possible for heat as well. In the engine tunnel, above the passenger side valve cover. MSD box was very noticeable to me especially in how quickly it started and how smoothly it idled. Also a noticeable increase in low-midrange torque. It also caused the ECM to start subtracting fuel in the fuel trims, less unburned fuel using up more of the leftover oxygen. I had the plug gap opened to 0.060" and good conducting Accel 300+ race wires on it needless to say I did not listen to AM radio. Will say my butt dyno is pretty sensitive, I could always feel a good pass down the track from a slower one and we are talking a tenth or so ET difference.

I have not had a problem with a MSD cap, even the China ones. Its a much better quality cap than the mexican or chinese Delco/Delphi caps with crappy aluminum contacts. It was the only cap that would hold up more than a year on my L31 without burning up.

Last edited: