Chevrolet Performance Grille VS Genuine GM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
This is a real nit pick question.. but I'm looking for OEM dealer grade Grille 15981106

It comes up as a Genuine GM part some websites, other places like summit list it as a Chevrolet Performance part.

Are they both the same manufacture? I asked on summit and he told me all the Grilles are Third party manufactured, just the approved quality parts get the Chevrolet name.

Trying to avoid the cheap aftermarket units.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way to tell is at the bow tie emblem, so having a photo of the actual product helps. The GM version encloses the emblem on top and bottom like this...

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-15981106-Grille-Assembly/dp/B005VUUE7I

The aftermarket does not and it looks “off” when the emblem is attached:

You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: here is a thread on it

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/buying-new-chevy-grill-keep-eye-out-for-this.35237/

Reaction score
Appreciate your reply, I did read about the grille differences unfortunately nobody shows a picture of this Chevrolet Performance Grille! They are priced in line with the GM genuine ones.. so I hope that means they're the same.

I haven't read about anyone else dealing with this discrepancy.. The dealer here wants $900 for a grille :O

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As mentioned on the link, they cannot use the bowtie shape without paying GM because it is a copyright.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Appreciate your reply, I did read about the grille differences unfortunately nobody shows a picture of this Chevrolet Performance Grille! They are priced in line with the GM genuine ones.. so I hope that means they're the same.

I haven't read about anyone else dealing with this discrepancy.. The dealer here wants $900 for a grille :O

Not sure if it helps, but the amazon link (and photo) I posted were for the part number you listed. I’m not sure what the difference between the stock and the ‘performance’ one is, but that part number is correct for the stock chrome grille.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not sure if it helps, but the amazon link (and photo) I posted were for the part number you listed. I’m not sure what the difference between the stock and the ‘performance’ one is, but that part number is correct for the stock chrome grille.

I was actually going to order the one off amazon, but being in Canada I can't drive down to pick it up right now!

The Chevrolet performance option I have is on a Canadian website and about $120 less with free shipping.. but might not be worth the risk.

Appreciate all the help guys!

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was actually going to order the one off amazon, but being in Canada I can't drive down to pick it up right now!

The Chevrolet performance option I have is on a Canadian website and about $120 less with free shipping.. but might not be worth the risk.

Appreciate all the help guys!

what Canadian website did you find it on?

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I can't vouch for all websites, but if you buy from Summit - "Chevrolet Performance Parts," is, in-fact, genuine GM stuff just like you find at the dealer.

I've purchased several different parts labeled like this.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't vouch for all websites, but if you buy from Summit - "Chevrolet Performance Parts," is, in-fact, genuine GM stuff just like you find at the dealer.

I've purchased several different parts labeled like this.
I didn't know that about Summit. Thanks for the info.