check engine light= another 500 bucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slitterman

Reaction score
picked up 97 ext cab a couple weeks back. steering box was bad along with brakes. got that fixed. check engine light comes on....
went for alingment...need tie rods...not done yet.
dropped truck to see what was the reason for the light being on. today i get a call to let me know that i have a bad fuel injector pump???
not sure if thats what guy said is bad. have not slept much in last couple days. anyway guy says part cost 60-70 bucks but install will be 250 or so
and then i have to add the 89 for diognostic check.
so looks like i need another close to 500 to throw at the truck.
p.o. showed me a reciept for a recent addition of a spider intake???
guy said all that has to come off to get to part. but that the fuel is being wasted. and not going where it should.

also said, that i can fix this and end up with bad injector?

truck is costing me way more then i wanted. still need ball joints and planned on lowering truck and having body work done.

so far its just been spend to fix.

is this a fair price or am i getting ripped off. not sure what the spider thing is or how hard it might be to fix.
any ideas.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it has a new spider injector in it that is all 8 injectors so i would lean towards saying that isnt your issue,plus that setup is not a 70 to 80 dollar part costs a hell of a lot more than that.now on the other hand it could be the fuel pump in the tank that is the issue

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dude, get an OBD2 Scanner and a chilton/haynes manual for your truck. If you drop your truck off everytime you get a check engine light it will nickel and dime you to death. A fuel pump should not cost $500. They are simple to swap if you prop up the truck bed. Check rockauto.com for prices.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Dude, get an OBD2 Scanner and a chilton/haynes manual for your truck.

:word: Save a lot of hassle and headaches long term even if you dont know a lot about vehicles.

slitterman

Reaction score
thanks for replies...didnt know i had a reply.
anyway. its the fuel pressure regulator that i was told was bad.
had it scanned for free. then charged 96 after tax
codes = p0172.p0175
was told need to replace fuel pressure regulator.
parts...50 bucks..
was told, that SHOULD fix engine light and any issues....
was told they put a fuel pressure guage on it somewhere and its not holding pressure so the regulator is bad??

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need to change all of those "was tolds" to "I figured out". A fuel pressure guage will tell you if you have a bad regulator, or if there is a pump/clogged fuel filter issue.

slitterman

Reaction score
ok. so then the guy was right. i need fpr. and now need to find best price to have part installed
thanks for reply

slitterman

Reaction score
anyone happen to know if there is a specific fpr ill need for spider injection???
or can i just call napa and say 97 5.0 and get the right part?