Cheaper Solution To Coil Over Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kawabuggy

Reaction score
So I found that some Monroe shocks come with springs on them (coil over style). My thoughts were-why not buy an off the shelf coil over style shock for cheap, and change out the coil springs on them? Yes, I know I will have to MAKE/FABRICATE stronger mounting brackets.
Here are the shocks I'm looking at; Monroe 58648 I tried linking to them directly but this web site will not allow that.

and here is the kit I would be using to mount them; Again, this web site won't allow linking to Amazon.. But if you look up coil over shock mounting kit on amazon they will come right up.

I would be making my own top bar to mount the top of the shocks to as I'm trying to keep them as straight up and down as possible. Hence, why these shocks are SHORTER than what came on our trucks from the factory. The shocks linked above have 5+" of travel. Hopefully that is enough for daily driver/street use. There will never be any weight put into the bed.

Then it's down to figuring out how to get the top of the shock disassembled so that I can replace the springs that are on there... that might be the sticking point, but something tells me that it can't be that hard. I can buy whatever springs I want as far as weight rating as they can be had from Summit racing. To make them adjustable, they sell the threaded collars on E-bay/Amazon as well that can be simply dropped into place on the existing spring perch that's already welded to the shock (once I get the top of the shock off). I'm doing away with the leaf springs and either I'm gonna buy a complete set of coil overs, or build my own as indicated here. I'm also building my own 3 link set up with panhard bar utilizing flexible rubber joints at all mounting point locations.

I'd appreciate any positive feed back, ideas, comments, or concerns..

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know this for fact but I’m pretty sure the springs on those are just like an overload spring or supplemental. I also think they’re kinda gimmicky

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
www.amazon.com/Monroe-58648-Adjusting-Shock-Absorber/dp/B002Q7SGHO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=23EMFVEHY3PKQ

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1. First Guess: Springs are not even close to stiff enough. Which may mean that the shock body isn't strong enough to handle the significantly-stiffer spring you're gonna need.

2. Pay attention to how/where GM mounts the shocks, and the angles they're at. One shock in front of the axle, one behind, angled. Reduces axle wind-up under acceleration and braking. But MAYBE that's not a problem for you because...

3. ...when you say "3-point mounting", I get the mental image of the old "Truck Arm" suspension, where the long arms are solidly-attached to the axle housing, angled inward toward the center of the vehicle, and mounted in rubber somewhere around the transmission or just behind it. Panhard bar for lateral location. Used in NASCAR before it became NAPCAR. The axle housing becomes a torsion-bar when the axle angles up as one wheel hits a bump--but apparently not a big deal as thousands and thousands of trucks were built that way, and a heap of race-cars, too.

4. IF (big IF) this is a "truck-arm" style axle mounting, the shocks/springs go to the very rear of the arms, behind the axle. That's where the most movement is, so that's where the springs and shocks have the greatest response/leverage on the vehicle. You may need longer-travel shocks.

For example,
You must be registered for see images attach

or another company's version:

No way in heck I'd pay for a prefab kit like that...but I know a guy who has a few early-'60s pickups with the original suspension. Always wanted to make a trailer out of one of those pickup boxes.

Toyed with the idea of "truck-arm" suspension under my 'Camino, before I kinda lost interest. MANY years ago, when I was researching this, I had the impression that this design needed more-than-typical spring and shock stiffness, because there's very little friction or binding in the design. Regular suspensions have so much friction/binding that they don't need as much spring or shock stiffness to reduce motion. But don't take my word for it. I could be mis-remembering, or maybe I just didn't understand to begin with.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I found that some Monroe shocks come with springs on them (coil over style). My thoughts were-
Here are the shocks I'm looking at; Monroe 58648

I'd appreciate any positive feed back, ideas, comments, or concerns..
Those aren't coil-overs they're "helper" shocks. As said, gimmicky, a band aid. Not too sure the shock bodies would take the pounding it would get without leaves in place.

Coil-overs have threaded collars. No too bad to swap springs or adjust ride height.

Why take a chance half-arsing it by being a cheapskate? Get the right stuff(coil-overs) and do it properly. Suspension components are not the place to take shortcuts and save a few bucks by trying to cobble something together.

Last edited:

Kawabuggy

Reaction score
First Guess: Springs are not even close to stiff enough. Which may mean that the shock body isn't strong enough to handle the significantly-stiffer spring you're gonna need.
I was doing research last night and every one that has gone to coil overs is using 200 lb. in. springs on the rear of these trucks. Whether they will hold up is yet to be seen. I have some specific testing situations in mind. Will that shock body hold up with those springs on it.. Lets find out.

Pay attention to how/where GM mounts the shocks, and the angles they're at. One shock in front of the axle, one behind, angled. Reduces axle wind-up under acceleration and braking.
"wind up" is NOT POSSIBLE with the 3 link system that I will be running. I will be welding a truss that runs across the top of the axle-over the diff section-connecting both axle tubes, and from that truss i will have a bar running forward-above the driveshaft, that will attach to a cross member directly in line with the current forward mounting location of the existing leaf springs (as viewed from the side of the vehicle) so as to keep all 3 bars the same length-to control the pinion angle as the axle moves up and down.

when you say "3-point mounting", I get the mental image of the old "Truck Arm" suspension, where the long arms are solidly-attached to the axle housing
The 3 link system will not be solidly mounted to the axle at any point. Think of a 4 link set up, but instead of rod ends, there will be rubber bushings at each end of each bar. 8 bushings in total, 2 for each of the 3 locating bars, and then 2 more on the panhard bar. A kit like this, but fabbed by me.

Those aren't coil-overs they're "helper" shocks.
Agreed. But the question remains-can they be converted to serve as coil overs? The shaft size on these Monroe shocks appears to be fairly large, and have some type of black coating on them as opposed to the standard chromed shafts you see on most shocks. Since I'm mounting them vertically (no angle at all), the shafts/shocks won't be carrying any loads as the springs will be doing that. The only thing I'm worried about is the welded on spring perch on the shock not being strong enough to carry the full weight of the rear of the truck. I will be testing these shocks on the ranch driving through some rough fields, and caliche roads before ever attempting to put them on public roads. If they fail in any way, I'll already be set up for legit coil overs as I'll have the correct springs, and already have the mounting brackets in place.

Coil-overs have threaded collars.
And these shocks will too... They sell the collars separately on E-bay/Amazon that can be easily added so that you have adjustability.
Why take a chance half-arsing it by being a cheapskate? Get the right stuff(coil-overs) and do it properly. Suspension components are not the place to take shortcuts and save a few bucks by trying to cobble something together.
Wise words. But I'm hard headed, and I have 3300 acres of farm land to try it out on before I endanger the public at large. If it can survive the fields-chasing pigs at night, and herding cattle, then I'll move on to road testing it. If it fails-as mentioned above, I'm already set up for legitimate coil overs as everything will be in place.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this suspension system you're designing...it's more like the 3rd Gen Camaro, with two trailing arms, and a torque-arm? The Panhard bar for lateral location. The Panhard rod would be the fourth arm.

I'm having some trouble visualizing how this all works. Seems to me the F-body torque arm was solidly-mounted to the axle, rubber mounted on the forward end (extension housing of the trans.)

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three-link with panhard, like S197 Mustangs. Good for road racing, but I don't think it's going to be sturdy enough for hog hunting and cattle wrangling. I'd want a SAS for that. Still, I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Kawabuggy

Reaction score
Technova-those do the OPPOSITE of what I'm trying to do. Those would INCREASE ride height (if you already had coil springs). I do sense the sarcasm though.

I'm DROPPING the rear of the truck, using off the shelf parts to build coil overs, and designing and installing my own 3 link system. I've got everything here so far except ONE thing.. The threaded adjuster collars. USPS (post office SUCKS!!!!!) says they delivered them on 11-18-22.. What that means is they dropped a package/box on the GROUND near, or somewhere around, my business mailbox at 5:27 PM on a FRIDAY and gave no one any notice.. So.. .this package sat on the ground for probably less than 30 seconds as our mailboxes are up on the street-and my shop sets back off the road about a football field away. The US Postal employees are SOOOOOOOOO LAZY... AND STUPID.. .AND INCOMPETENT. There is even a sign on the mailbox stating "YOU MORONIC LAZY POST OFFICE EMPLOYEES MUST BRING BOXES OR PACKAGES THAT DO NOT FIT INTO THE ACTUAL MAIL BOX BACK TO THE SHOP". You know I did not put the first insulting part-though I want to.. But still... the MOUTH BREATHER literally just drops the packages on the ground.. This is a heavily walked street that sees over 1000 people walking past our mailbox every day. Most of them illegal immigrants (this is Houston, TX). If it was not one of the walkers, then someone in a car saw it and grabbed it. I filed a formal complaint with the post office but we all know that will never be read, or acted on, and NOTHING will come of it. If there was a way to FIRE my mail man-I'd have done it years ago when he first screwed up, and not 10,000 times later where we are now. I even told the seller "I CANNOT ACCEPT USPS POSTAGES AND THE ITEM MUST BE SHIPPED BY UPS". And that DIP SNORT (probably a 6 year old child in China) sent them USPS anyway! So.. I told the seller, that between him, and the USPS, someone is getting me another set of adjustment collars as this is not my fault. I warned them NOT to use USPS.. they did anyway. I have a sign that says packages must be brought to shop-and the postal employee just dropped them on the ground anyway.. If NO ONE on Earth is reliable or worth a snort... How can this country continue to exist. I'm surrounded on all sides by dumb arsses! I know you guys see it too. When I'm always being held to the highest standard by my customers-why then do I get treated like trash by everyone I have to work with? It's frustrating. I'm beginning to understand why there are so many Karens now a days.. Because STUPID people NEED and DESERVE to be yelled at! They don't want to work, or do their job. They have NO PRIDE in what they do. They have NO DESIRE to do anything other than smoke their weed, smoke their cigarettes, and drink their alcohol. LOSERS. The entire lot of them. and yes, I'm referring to a large part of our population. Absolute LOSERS.

Rant over. On to the tech part. I got my Eiback springs in today. Part #0700.225.0250 Yes, I know they are 250 lb. in. springs.. It's the closest I could get to 200... They don't offer a 200 in this spring size. I will post pics as soon as I get a set of adjustment collars in my hand. That's the only thing holding me up right now.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The world is run by C students, and yelling at them doesn't encourage them to do right. It reinforces their opinion that you're an @$$hole and they are entitled to feel like a victim. You have to sweet talk them and convince them that they dropped the ball and hurt you. Most people actually respond to that because they don't want to be the @$$hole that hurt someone else.

But I absolutely feel your pain, and I, too, rant about the Post Office from time to time.