Cheap Resto on 94 c1500

Should I swap the wire harness or change the intake ,transmission

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryan leineke

Reaction score
This is my thread for a partial restoration on the black/blue 94 C1500 . The white 96 C1500 runs and drives has a rebuilt engine and transmission but it was a northern truck and has severe rust damage .

I purchased the 94 for $500 without engine and tranny
GOALS
- Repair the body and repaint the 94 going with 97 bright blue metallic WA303D
- install the 96 5.7L vortec in the 94
-install A transmission (not sure what would be best due to the 96 having the 4L60e and that would require a wire harness swap or get a standard 4L60)
-After all that is done I would like to pull the carpet and interior and change colors to black

-Once I have a good running truck I plan on lowering it and changing the wheels and upgrading everything
You must be registered for see images attach

Bryan leineke

Reaction score
Started sanding the 94 and found some a**hole rattle canned with primer over peeling clear coat and then used the thickest coat of black paint I’ve ever seen on a vehicle . Removing the old coatings is going to be a lot more than I anticipated. After removing most of the black and getting 75% of the truck down to the original base / primer there is some rust on the rear rocker panel leaving a hole about 1 inch wide and 4” long after sanding and grinding it to bare metal I do not have a welder at home

Anyone know the best way to repair? I don’t like the idea of using that much bondo without support behind it . I was thinking about Beating it in a little and using some fiberglass to make a base for the body filler .

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rent a welder if you have to fix that hole. Cut out the rust and fix it right. Eventually the bondo will crack If you’re trying to cover a hole that big. And the rust will still be there.

Bryan leineke

Reaction score
I’m doing the paint job before I do the powertrain swap . I thought I would look better with the engine bay repainted as well . I run a exhaust shop so I think I’ll borrow the welder and just fix it one day after work. The truck project is on a hold as of right now anyways. Girlfriend wanted the bathroom remodeled before I spent all my money on the “used car lot in the driveway”

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m doing the paint job before I do the powertrain swap . I thought I would look better with the engine bay repainted as well . I run a exhaust shop so I think I’ll borrow the welder and just fix it one day after work. The truck project is on a hold as of right now anyways. Girlfriend wanted the bathroom remodeled before I spent all my money on the “used car lot in the driveway”
I've been there. Its why my Jeep has been sitting not running my my driveway for 2 years and this old truck still has the 4.3L in it...