cheap high flow catalytic converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIG_1088

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello friends

recently I had my truck inspected so I can get it licensed, but unfortunately due to me living in one of the four(?) counties in missouri where it's required, it had to undergo emissions testing. as you can probably guess by now, it failed.

anyways, can anyone direct me towards or recommend a good cat to buy? if it's important my truck has a 5.7l vortec and dual glasspacks in it. i'd like to keep the duals but the gvip doesn't like them too much :(

i apologize if i put this in the wrong section of the forum as i am new here, and if you need more information just gimme a holler

thanks in advance

-big

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Cheap cats may not pass the sniff test. OE cats are best what diameter is your exhaust? You might try snagging some stock LS takeoff cats. I snagged some Corvette cats from a performance shop a few years ago, likely going to put them on my 1500 when I someday redo the exhaust front to back. They're 2.5" in diameter and are the small canister style.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

BIG_1088

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheap cats may not pass the sniff test. OE cats are best what diameter is your exhaust?

my exhaust diameter is somewhere between 2 and 3 inches (that's just a guess, i am not at my truck right now so i cannot measure it). and as for the cheap cats not passing, oof.

Magnaflow makes really nice bolt-in stainless Y-pipes with cats, but at around $450 they may be a little steep for a high school budget. Flowmaster has one that's on sale for $300 at Summit right now. Assuming your truck is a K1500 that is, that's what I looked up.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-2010023/overview/year/1997/make/chevrolet/model/k1500

450 bucks, that's a tad overbudget for me unfortunately. also my truck is a c1500, but parts for a k1500 should (?) fit on my truck just fine

Wademo

Reaction score
Lets try this again. Nice low budget unit here that works:

Search ' Thunderbolt 3 catalytic converter ' on ebay

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Stock exhaust manifolds, short tube headers, or long tube headers? Manifolds and shorties will take the stock style y pipe and cats.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to change my oil, change spark plugs, adjust my timing, and put about %80 e85 in my tank to pass emissions last time. After testing, You want to drive it almost to empty and put premium in it right away.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had luck with “Eastern catalytic” converters . In most cases , the cost of a catalytic converter is proportional to the amount of catalyst in it. A really cheap one will not work as well or last as long because of that.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alot of guys pull the stock rear cats off their Titans and Armadas because they are not monitored. I used a pair on a GMT400 Tahoe. Highflowing and worked perfectly with the stock GM PCM tuning. The ends are cone shaped. They are 2 1/8" inlet and 2.5" outlet and can be cut open for a 3" pipe.

You must be registered for see images attach

As Supercharged said I have gotten a few sets as free takeoffs. The Tahoe has the same cats opened up to 3" on the 8.1 to this day.

Last edited: