Chasing expensive ghost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steam Engine

Reaction score
Hello, new poster. I have a 2000 Chevy k2500HD, heavy 3/4 ton 8 lug.
Has 454 vortec and nv4500 tranny.
I was leaving work one night and barely five miles from work I down shifted to get onto a freeway ramp, lost power, starting missing, rough idle in higher rpms.
Codes showed running lean bank 2, passenger side, thought was bad fuel, nope.
Replaced spark plugs, cables, TPS, upper and lower intake gaskets, avoid Amazon for the lowers, had to cut to fit. And replaced my old Rochester 6 hole fuel injectors with Bosch 4 hole.
The new fuel injectors seat better, old ones the o-rings were visible on back passenger side, thought that would fix it. Nope, even beat on both catalytic converters to see if they were blocked,looks like someone threw glitter all over ground. I usually run 91 octane to get 11 mpg.

So I'm out of ideas, did check valves on passenger side for sticking. Might do again. Tons of tbi cleaner, injector cleaner.

Help...

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many miles? How many since last fuel pump? I have seen every part on the engine replaced and it turn out to be the pump. Have you checked fuel pressure to rule that out?

Last edited:

Steam Engine

Reaction score
Haven't checked the coil or fuel pressure yet. Been troubleshooting based on it only running lean on the passenger side. Might try fuel pressure regulator, did clean up distributor connectors when had pulled out for intake gaskets install. Only has 106k miles, bought it over 5 years ago with 65k.

Steam Engine

Reaction score
No ,but I did disconnect to see if ran different or threw new codes. When I'm plugged it threw a o2 sensor misread code

Steam Engine

Reaction score
Also it eats gas, misfires and pops sometimes. Heats up fast even with new thermostat. Brakes are iffy sometimes like a vacuum issue, same for power steering, they act up sometimes or not at all. But heard a ping from the underside today. Hope it's nothing bad.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Also it eats gas, misfires and pops sometimes. Heats up fast even with new thermostat. Brakes are iffy sometimes like a vacuum issue, same for power steering, they act up sometimes or not at all. But heard a ping from the underside today. Hope it's nothing bad.

Do you even have vacuum brakes?

Check your fuel pressure. You have a port right in front on the fuel rail.

Steam Engine

Reaction score
So I used a Snap-On Solus, said I had O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1, knock sensor bank 1, and I have a misfire in cylinders 1 2 4 and 8. New O2 sensor got rid of the run Lane code accidentally put the knock sensor on the wrong side try to use the old one from the right side on the left side still showing bad knock sensor code didn't fix the misfiring issue. going to check the distributor to see if maybe it's slightly off even though only half of the engines misfiring, might try the coil pack.