CCLB dually #2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It fits on a sticky note. But it's piddly pain in the ass crap. Like the driver's door handle or lock that messes up and won't let you open it. Or the mirror adjuster button that's broken.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Fortunately good enough is good enough for this truck. That said, it's me doing the work so it'll still be better than it probably needs to be for a 20 some year old flipper. I'm really encouraged after today with it holding pressure and all.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Slapped a thermostat in today and it got up around 185 or better, good enough for me. Exhaust is stinking and trans fluid was low. Grabbed some fluid so will go for a longer cruise tomorrow. I want it up to operating temp for a good while to see what happens. My suspicion is that this truck had been running cold for a while. This is the first time, with water in the system, that it has had a functioning factory temp gauge. I also want to rip on it a little, gotta wonder if there isn't some carbon buildup or something going on here. I'd been thinking no codes, but now I'm suspecting the MIL is burned out. Taking the scanner that I forgot today.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
With the scanner hooked up, the truck ran between 188-194 so perfect. Took it for a 10 mile drive or so, longest it's been on yet. Was down a quart in the trans but got that squared away. No leaks so I can dump in some green and call the cooling system done. It had a miss for sure, you couldn't feel it but you could hear it. I think it's on the right bank because the 2nd O2 sensor on the right side was reading fat. Fuel trims looked good, so I'm gonna shoot the temps of the runners tomorrow and see if there's an odd man out. Hopefully it's a plug, wire, or injector. I have that kind of crap on hand. Won't be able to try again until Friday though.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So the cats have been stinking since I got it running again. Today I went out with an infrared temp gun and some plugs and wires. All 8 were pretty much the same temp, so there went that. I took it back once it was up to temp, parked it, and the miss wasn't there. The cats also stunk noticeably less, so I went on a longer drive and gave the skinny pedal some lovin. When I got back, that perceived miss was present but the motor was smooth ask silk. The exhaust also now had zero stink and the right post cat O2 was no longer reading fat. It seems it just needed to be driven at operating temp, most everything I've done has not been. I didn't realize this before because the cluster wasn't showing me temps. So while I didn't really accomplish anything, I think I got some stuff figured out. Also went to swap the passenger's front exterior door handle and apparently I got the wrong one? Didn't know that was a thing. The lock tumbler went in upside down compared to the original one so that's not gonna fly at all. I put the glove box back in and hit the dome override so I could leave the battery plugged in overnight. I think part of the quirkiness with it is the fact that it has to relearn every time I started the thing before because I'd leave the battery unplugged overnight.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
On another note, I see that the C200 for the gasser does not have the VSS wire whereas the diesel C200 is ready to accept it. @JSlezak83 do you have some advice? The truck shifts fine and the scanner shows vehicle speed, but the speedo doesn't work. I need to find the delta there.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve been without interwebs thanks to the tropical storm. Prob won’t get back to you for a couple days. Golf league banquet tonight with open bar, so I’ll be useless, and we are at camp now too. I’ll grab the manual this afternoon and hopefully have something for you by Sat morning.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve also got a miss of some sort going on. Truck feels a bit sluggish under 1800 or so RPM. Has an audible miss in the exhaust at idle. I’ll pull the plugs after I get you a wiring diagram. My S10 used to eat cap/rotors. Wondering if this is a similar issue. Plugged vent screen perhaps.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to suggest plugged vent screen myself. I'm not in a huge rush, so have fun. Today I shanmpooed the carpets and seats. Truck wasn't all that nasty, but it is cleaner now for sure. The list is getting short so that either means I'm getting somewhere or not being honest with the list.