Catalytic Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly havent noticed anything wrong with it but figured i would replace it as the truck has over 179,000 miles on it and it was mistreated by the former owner. But hell if it aint broke then dont fix it huh?

replace it when it’s physically broken or worn out. You can get a aftermarket cat con relatively cheap compared to OEM. Cats usually break due to other factors.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mississippi stopped the "yearly vehicle inspections". Wonderful, but ya should see some of the hoopties duct taped together, red tape on the tail lights, etc. Dangerous to be around. Had the local muffler shop install this Magnaflow cat at 200,000mi. The muffler shop stays busy installing whatever ya desire! Almost every truck that leaves there is louder than it went in! I'm all for it, had him put a single Flowmaster on my truck, nice little rumble.

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/...-epa-compliant-direct-fit-catalytic-converter
Seems like the "hoopties" with busted lamps, bad brakes, dripping all kinds of fluids, get lumped in with any modified vehicle when the law gets involved. Its always either "every vehicle gets inspected every year" or "no inspections ever."

To the idiots in the Congress (all of them) its all the same, chopping off your muffler might as well be driving with a wheel missing LOL.

Around here the cops just pull you over and tell you to fix what's broken, and honestly I hardly ever see burned out bulbs or "hoopties." This also gives local cops a good way to make their quota of "contacts" or stops for the day, without actually writing a **** ton of tickets. Usually you get a warning, or if that cop thinks you're a repeat offender(read: rice rocket Honda), you get a fix-it ticket.

Now, I see a lot of hoopties parked streetside in the same spot for years on end, and the tweakers live in them. Lots of them even have no license plates but they don't run or drive so they never get pulled over.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
My truck occasionally gets a post catalyst o2 light. It has nothing to do with tuning. If your converter isn’t clogged up then it doesn’t mean a thing. I’m trying to find the resistance in ohms of the sensor so I can replace it with a resistor. You can have a tuning shop turn off the light for that circuit only.
There isn't a resistance value to give. The O2 sensors produce a small amount of voltage in a specific range. That is what the computer looks at. A small exhaust leak or the engine being out of tune can cause a check engine light.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
and honestly I hardly ever see burned out bulbs or "hoopties."

You know, it’s usually the newer cars with the LEDs that I see a lot of burned out lights on.

My sister-in-law has a newer (2016 or so) Yukon and has had burned out taillights off and on. It’s probably a design defect, but those jokers aren’t cheap to replace. Couple hundred bucks last I heard.

And I swear I’ve never gotten ten years out of one of those LED lightbulbs around the house either, lol. The old fifty cent incandescent ones seemed to last so much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I turn off the rear 02s, 02 heaters, catalyst codes, and get rid of the catalyst heating spark and fuel table in the "off road" pcms . Also turn off any and all torque management. Usually see gains in mpg and hp in the later vortec truck stuff.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't recommend it. It's a $10,000 fine to remove it Federal Law. When to check engine light goes on it may put you in Limp Mode and it will run poorly. My 2003 Chevy truck had 453000 miles on it when I sold it and it had the original cat.
Is it running bad?
If it's just the cat and the upstream pipes are good the APH-608227 ($155.99 @ Summit Racing) is a legal cat for your truck.
Wow I'm glad I don't live where you do. Around my state and even surrounding states you can bet that less than 1% or 98 and older trucks have converters. Plus 25yr old becomes exempt to alot of emissions laws. Now cali is hardcore wanting any older vehicles off the road no matter condition

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Amen badco. I live in a remote area where no body cares about cats. Not admitting I don't have any but there are and never have been inspections. So we do what we want, did go to dual exhaust, major power resulted. I have a cop friend (also a drummer in our church band) and he says with Covid they are not supposed to arrest anyone for things like no cats, or minor driving infractions. Also most people arrested are immidately let go even for domestic violence and minor theft.