Catalytic Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only a matter of time when everything is electric anyways:p The conversion business will be booming! :gm:

I'm not so sure, most likely there will not be enough electricity to recharge all those electric cars, we are blowing up dams in the name of native american fish, taking coal fired generating stations off line, wind power and solar aint going to make up enough to help. I'm keeping my gas engine until they pry it out of my smog filled lungs. unfotuneatley some environmental actilviists don't know how to think ahead.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great comment, terrible formatting LOL. I think your post got shoved into the quote box. Forums are tricky to learn man.

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great comment, terrible formatting LOL. I think your post got shoved into the quote box. Forums are tricky to learn man.

And? I been on car forums since the 90's..

I just meant that soon there will be no worry about convertors since the will be no need for them, as everything will be switched to electric. Change is coming if you like it or not.

I have 2 90's vehicles , both have the cats on , the Truck still has the pellet convertor , the Sunbird's is still on the car but is gutted and has a pipe welded inside so it doesn't have the tinny sound that they make when hollow. Still passes emissions no problem even with 154k miles.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Bloodwater79

Reaction score
The laws in most states read that you can't modify original equipment, period. If I was a stickler cop I could literally pull over and ticket every single member on this forum for some bullshit reason. You used Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs? That's modifying original equipment. You have different seats than original? Ticket. You have different tires? Ticket. You have different wheels? Ticket. Any exhaust work at all? Ticket. 0411 PCM swap? Ticket.
If you enforce the laws the way they're typically written (which is to give cops as much discretion as possible) you can be fined for almost anything.

Honestly the fact that bigdaddiesgarage or whatever the site is for that guy selling o2 sensor spacers and cat-cheaters is still up, is very telling, that they really don't give a ****. It'd very easy for the feds to grab that IP and shut him down.

MAYBE the fact that the Diesel Bros had a TV show showing off all the illegal **** they did was the reason they got dinged.

True, but many also have special rules for vehicles older than 25 years. which majority of the trucks we own are.

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mississippi stopped the "yearly vehicle inspections". Wonderful, but ya should see some of the hoopties duct taped together, red tape on the tail lights, etc. Dangerous to be around. Had the local muffler shop install this Magnaflow cat at 200,000mi. The muffler shop stays busy installing whatever ya desire! Almost every truck that leaves there is louder than it went in! I'm all for it, had him put a single Flowmaster on my truck, nice little rumble.

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/...-epa-compliant-direct-fit-catalytic-converter

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
I know you already have many comments, but Ill throw in my couple pennies, too.

I have a 1998 Chevrolet K3500 CCSB SRW with the 5.7L Vortec. When i bought it, one cat was gone and the other was hollowed out, and like you mentioned, it didn't feel like it ran right, even with all new ignition components and all maintenance up to date. I went to Black Bear Tuning a couple years ago and they suggested I delete the rear O2 sensors in the ECM and then it should run perfectly fine.

I did and the truck runs well. My truck (even with a headache rack, 6 inch lift kit, 33s, tow mirrors, and a steel front bumper) can manage just below 14 mpg on the highway and it idles smooth as butter with enough power for me.

If you live in a place where the emissions are NOT checked (so not Cali or any big city), then I would get rid of it and try to find someone that will program the computer to mute the downstream O2 sensors.

I still have the EGR and evap stuff, and the truck runs like a top for having 267k on it.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 5.7 Yukon ran like a top after I sorted out all of the engine problems then(allegedly) had straight pipes put in place of the clogged cats. CEL did not illuminate. I can't remember any change to the already dismal fuel mileage. It pulled like a brute, strong enough to completely shred the 4L60E within 2 weeks. R.I.P.
The exhaust sure was stinky though. If you're dealing with a half-decent truck it's worth it to put new cats on.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
If they're plugged, gut 'em or cut 'em. If they aren't, leave 'em.

There is absolutely a reason not to replace a failed converter, and that's if its a rear converter, and if you don't have the $$$.
And stop giving legal advice unless you're a lawyer, I doubt anyone talking about "$10,000 federal fines" has A)ever gotten one or B)knows your local laws.
Ummm those are Federal laws. Clean Air Act of 1990 to be precise. And the EPA does call to try to trip us up.

And California can confiscate your vehicle and crush it. And THEN hit you with the fines.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly havent noticed anything wrong with it but figured i would replace it as the truck has over 179,000 miles on it and it was mistreated by the former owner. But hell if it aint broke then dont fix it huh?
My truck occasionally gets a post catalyst o2 light. It has nothing to do with tuning. If your converter isn’t clogged up then it doesn’t mean a thing. I’m trying to find the resistance in ohms of the sensor so I can replace it with a resistor. You can have a tuning shop turn off the light for that circuit only.