Carpet Cleaning Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your carpet looks very clean in the pics. I get more dirt in my truck just pulling it around to the shop. I'd clean it in place.

When my dog was nearing the end and lost control of her bladder, we bought a Bissell Little Green ProHeat carpet cleaner. It doesn't lay down a ton of water, and does a good job of sucking the dirty water back up. If you use a good carpet detergent product with it, it does well enough.

I spent about $10 in quarters when I cleaned a Pull-A-Part carpet to put in WCJr. Since then I bought a Harbor Freight power washer, and I used it to clean the Pull-A-Part rubber "carpet" from a base model truck for Roscoe. The power washer is very light-duty, but works good. If you buy one, listen to it carefully, and if the water flow slows and you can hear it struggling, shut it down, pull the hose off, and clean the debris from the water inlet. If you let it run too long without water flow it'll destroy the pump.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I have pulled them out of cars and trucks, hung them over my chain link fence, and powerwashed the crap out of them. Do it on a sunny day early and let it dry. Taking it to a car wash is going to leave you with a very heavy carpet to lift to try to get it to hang out to dry.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My recommendation is:
1) use an air compressor and blow it all out. It will loosen more dirt than you’d be able to get by just vacuuming.
2) vacuum it thoroughly
3) use a dedicated carpet cleaner (like P&S products 3 step system) if you follow the directions it will come out great. It is what I use. It is best to agitate it with a drill brush or a stiff horse/boars hair brush. Since yours isn’t bad, you could probably get away with just buying Carpet Bomber. https://www.autogeek.net/ps-interior-kit.html
4) vacuum again to remove any leftover chemicals and water
5) use steam to remove any deep stains. Steamers are cheap enough and have a ton of other uses around the house. Apply steam to the area and dab the spot with a clean rag.
Another option is to just use a pressure washer with some carpet shampoo and agitate it with a brush. It’s not as many steps but should be good for your needs. The steps I listed above are what I did on my carpet.
You must be registered for see images attach

Your carpet looks great after the cleaning!

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This morning I took my truck's carpet to a coin-operated carwash and used the rinse setting to clean my carpet. As soon as the carpet got wet, a substantial amount of white soap suds appeared along with plenty of brown and dirty water. A previous owner must have used soap and did not rinse the carpet. I used a soft bristle brush along with a small amount of liquid Persil laundry detergent on a few stained areas on the carpet. My wet-dry shop vac did a good job removing the remaining water. I made sure to rinse as much of the old soap and dirt from the carpet as possible before using the shop vac! The truck is parked in a large shop with the carpet draped over the truck's bed to dry until Monday morning when I return to the shop.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen pro detailers use the pressure washer inside, but never pointed at the dash. Our GM's sister would bring her car in for a detail and that's how they'd have to get the burgers out of the carpet. When a customer thought they'd get one over on the dealership and left a pile of fish guts under the rear seat of a Suburban in summer, the detailers unbolted the rear seat and pressure washed it out. Half an hour's work and you'd never know there was a fish back there.