Cargo light with no 3rd brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam asher

Reaction score
Hey so I’m super confused. I cannot find the bulb or size for the cargo light with no 3rd brake on my truck. I have a 89 k1500 with the standard cab. I can’t find the bulb size anywhere. I’d prefer to Put a led in place if possible. If anyone can help me with a way to replace the bulb or even put some sort of led light source under the lens I would greatly appreciate it.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Hey so I’m super confused. I cannot find the bulb or size for the cargo light with no 3rd brake on my truck. I have a 89 k1500 with the standard cab. I can’t find the bulb size anywhere. I’d prefer to Put a led in place if possible. If anyone can help me with a way to replace the bulb or even put some sort of led light source under the lens I would greatly appreciate it.
My Phillips Lighting catalog says 1142 is the bulb number.

Adam asher

Reaction score

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Threw me for a bit of a loop on that one because I've never had to replace one of those; they always just worked. I understand wanting to go LED though.

It's a weird bulb - has the hoop/wire connections at each end. GM part # is 9439702 and it crosses to... uh... I can't tell. You may need to use a festoon style LED intended for a dome light bulb and make your own socket adapters for your cargo lamp base. :/

Unless someone else here has already solved this riddle? This is what the OEM bulb looks like:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Adam asher

Reaction score

The bulb is a tube I believe
Threw me for a bit of a loop on that one because I've never had to replace one of those; they always just worked. I understand wanting to go LED though.

It's a weird bulb - has the hoop/wire connections at each end. GM part # is 9439702 and it crosses to... uh... I can't tell. You may need to use a festoon style LED intended for a dome light bulb and make your own socket adapters for your cargo lamp base. :/

Unless someone else here has already solved this riddle? This is what the OEM bulb looks like:

Richard
thanks! I’m thinking of buying some sort of mountable 12v led light and just putting it inside of the housing. I’m not sure yet but I’ll just put this in for now.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

It gets tricky because the cargo lamp was an option from 88-92 I believe; 93 came with it standard. Then 94 got the combo CHMSL/cargo lamp and switched to the wedge bulbs (921's) - the Sylvania catalog has no idea and doesn't even list a bulb for it until 93, and gives the wrong info, thinking 93 has CHMSL and it doesn't.

Richard

Adam asher

Reaction score

Richard
Maybe if I soldered some wire to the end of a festoon bulb I might be able to recreate the oem style.

Adam asher

Reaction score
Definitely. I’ll send a picture in a couple days when I get finished up. I hope doing this will help others with my problem.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe if I soldered some wire to the end of a festoon bulb I might be able to recreate the oem style.
Your only real concern here is heat transfer de-soldering the components in the LED bulb. I'd see if I could adapt the socket in the base somehow so that you could readily plug in your bulb of choice.

Richard