Cargo Light Switch Converted to a Toggle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have a '98 and I am wondering how to make the cargo light work as a On/Off switch for my cargo lights. I have always thought the cargo light switch was useless becasue it requires the key or lights to be on. So I would like to convert it to a On/Off switch so I can turn those cargo lights on with out lights on or the key. I have a future project I am going to start to work on and I need to tie into the 3rd brake light for it.

Any help on what you have done would be appreciated, thanks!

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Your cargo light is grounded through the interior courtesy light circuits, so if you want this to work, you will need to give the cargo light a dedicated ground. You'll need to locate the white ground wire at your cargo lamp, cut it and ground the cargo lamp side to a good chassis ground. Cap off the courtesy light side, or anytime it rubs the body, your interior lights will come on.

The reason it only works with your interior lights, is because the door switches and the dimmer switch "ON" position gives the cargo lamp its path to ground. Eliminate the switches in the ground path, provide its own permanent ground, and the on/off switch for the cargo lamp will work like you want it.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your cargo light is grounded through the interior courtesy light circuits, so if you want this to work, you will need to give the cargo light a dedicated ground. You'll need to locate the white ground wire at your cargo lamp, cut it and ground the cargo lamp side to a good chassis ground. Cap off the courtesy light side, or anytime it rubs the body, your interior lights will come on.

The reason it only works with your interior lights, is because the door switches and the dimmer switch "ON" position gives the cargo lamp its path to ground. Eliminate the switches in the ground path, provide its own permanent ground, and the on/off switch for the cargo lamp will work like you want it.

Well shoot that totally makes sense now! So the cargo lamp plug I will cut ground and I will make a new ground there in the sheet metal behind the 3rd brake light is what you are saying. Then that break will disconnect it from the existing circuit. Thanks for the help, I thought it was going to be more involved with messing with things at the dash!

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Should be pretty straightforward. Just be sure to develop a clean, and secure ground, insulate the other side of the cut as I mentioned, to keep your inside lights from flashing on when rubbing metal.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be pretty straightforward. Just be sure to develop a clean, and secure ground, insulate the other side of the cut as I mentioned, to keep your inside lights from flashing on when rubbing metal.

Most definitely, I don't like cutting corners when it comes to electrical. I like doing it one time and calling it good lol

Huggy

Reaction score
Well shoot that totally makes sense now! So the cargo lamp plug I will cut ground and I will make a new ground there in the sheet metal behind the 3rd brake light is what you are saying. Then that break will disconnect it from the existing circuit. Thanks for the help, I thought it was going to be more involved with messing with things at the dash!
I have a 1994 K1500 and cargo lights don't work. Don't know where the switch is. Attached is a picture of the dash (Where i think the switch is, but not labeled)

You must be registered for see images attach