Carbed 400 ci into 2000 k2500 crewcab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd go with the 0411 swap for the 400. I might do this to my Yukon, with the Ramjet intake and whipple. Can pretty much do whatever you want with the 0411 if the tuner knows what he's doing. You can run the Vortec timing cover/reluctor, just need to turn the snout of the 400 balancer a 1/4", or whatever thickness of the relcutor is. I'd rather run all the Vortec stuff on the 400, rather than a carb on a 400....

OCD INC

Reaction score
I'd go with the 0411 swap for the 400. I might do this to my Yukon, with the Ramjet intake and whipple. Can pretty much do whatever you want with the 0411 if the tuner knows what he's doing. You can run the Vortec timing cover/reluctor, just need to turn the snout of the 400 balancer a 1/4", or whatever thickness of the relcutor is. I'd rather run all the Vortec stuff on the 400, rather than a carb on a 400....

It doesnt look like it would be to bad spacing all the accessory brackets out a bit either.
A swap to a nv4500 seems reasonable with a swap to aftermarket gauges . The computer doesn't control the fricken heater and ac too right ?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s not a matter of spacing brackets out, it’s the balanced fitting in the timing cover. Any machine shop can trim 1/4” off the balancer. But I guess you could space them out but still might be tough to get it all lined up.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Trans shifts based on TPS and RPM, so with just those 2 it'd probably work as that's how folks are doing it with the old TBI computers. Seems like a downgrade though, going from a 350 with good flowing heads to a smogged out 400? Or does it have a decent top end?

OCD INC

Reaction score
Trans shifts based on TPS and RPM, so with just those 2 it'd probably work as that's how folks are doing it with the old TBI computers. Seems like a downgrade though, going from a 350 with good flowing heads to a smogged out 400? Or does it have a decent top end?

2.02/1.60 sr torqer heads and more lift on the cam than the vortecs can handle without machining.
An aftermarket tpi manifold is what I need but isn't in the budget right now.

92Raiderburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello new member here. I've been searching and reading but still have questions!
I have a complete old school 400 small block from a previous project that i would like to jam in place of the 5.7 vortec.
Will the 4l80e work correctly with just a throttle position sensor on the carb? or do i need a trans controller ? Will all the gauges and such work? I'm assuming all accessories mounts will bolt to the old block. Basically I haven't messed with computers or electronic trannys before but am ok with the mechanical stuff.
What do I need to make the tranny work properly?
I need a fuel pressure regulator, any recomendations?
Any help would be appreciated.

To get the 4L80 to shift automatically with a 93-95 1500 or 91-95 2500 TBI PCM, you need:
- RPM signal
- MAP sensor
- TPS mounted on carb

Im not sure how the Vortec computer would work on it. Pretty sure it should be the same

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
To get the 4L80 to shift automatically with a 93-95 1500 or 91-95 2500 TBI PCM, you need:
- RPM signal
- MAP sensor
- TPS mounted on carb

Im not sure how the Vortec computer would work on it. Pretty sure it should be the same

You can also remotely mount a TPS sensor and hook linkage to the carb to swing it.

OCD INC

Reaction score
Last edited: