Carbed 400 ci into 2000 k2500 crewcab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OCD INC

Reaction score
Hello new member here. I've been searching and reading but still have questions!
I have a complete old school 400 small block from a previous project that i would like to jam in place of the 5.7 vortec.
Will the 4l80e work correctly with just a throttle position sensor on the carb? or do i need a trans controller ? Will all the gauges and such work? I'm assuming all accessories mounts will bolt to the old block. Basically I haven't messed with computers or electronic trannys before but am ok with the mechanical stuff.
What do I need to make the tranny work properly?
I need a fuel pressure regulator, any recomendations?
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

OCD INC

Reaction score
The 4L80E is electronically controlled.

Yes i was hoping there would be a way to put a throttle position sensor on the carb and have the stock computer run it with a re flash to save money for now till I can cough up enough cash for aftermarket fuel injection system.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes i was hoping there would be a way to put a throttle position sensor on the carb and have the stock computer run it with a re flash to save money for now till I can cough up enough cash for aftermarket fuel injection system.

Since your PCM is a '98+, anyone with HPTuners should be able to tune the PCM to control an 80E. Unfortunately I have no idea what would be involved in running a carbed motor with the stock PCM though.

OCD INC

Reaction score
Since your PCM is a '98+, anyone with HPTuners should be able to tune the PCM to control an 80E. Unfortunately I have no idea what would be involved in running a carbed motor with the stock PCM though.

I clearly don't have much FI knowledge, so I don't know what the pcm needs to be happy just running the trans and gauges. the 400 won't have a crank position sensor or cam pos sensor. Probably not feasible.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

It's been a long time since I've heard anyone talk about this, but it may be possible to run the 4L80E with a PCM from a non-electronic diesel. I think those PCMs pretty much ran the tranmission with little input from the engine. Do some searches and see if you can find that information. It's been years since I've seen that mentioned, and I don't believe it was considered a simple swap.

.... or run a manual, or a TH400. I think I'd go for the TH400.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swap the Vortec timing cover onto it and you'll have your crank sensor. EDIT Doh! A 400 balancer won't fit the timing wheel behind it. You could probably get a 400 balancer shortened.

TH700R4? You'll have to add a TV cable, but no electromagic required.

A TH400 doesn't need a TV cable and will handle whatever power a 400 can make, but only has three speeds. If you're not planning on any highway driving, this would be a decent choice.

You can add a TPS to your carburetor, but that seems janky to me.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you go on www.Gearhead-efi.com there is a guy who is using an old (91 or so, I think it is a 7060 PCM) PCM to run the 4l80e on a carbed motor. He was talking about the idea to make a cheap control module to run the 4l80e. You will still need a couple sensors, and one of them will be a TPS on the carb, but it is doable.

If you have the 5.7 the accessories should fit, but probably will spin the water pump in the wrong direction unless you replace it with one for a serpentine setup. I'm not sure what you will have to do to make the balancer work due to the timing cover.

Your gauges will not work as they get all of the information from the PCM.

I would be more inclined to get an 0411 PCM and then get a Multiport injection manifold that fits the 400 and run it that way. You can do it with the existing PCM, but it will have to be tuned regardless.

This whole project is doable, but it may not be your best route for price or time.