Carb Swapping a 93 Tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbaer

Reaction score
I plan on swapping my truck over to carb and have had a lot of miss information on getting the transmission to shift. Trying to just put tps on carb and run it that way if possible. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Not for sure what carb you are running but Holley makes a tps adapter kit that hooks up where your automatic choke is. Kind of expensive but will save you troubles in the long run.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. Carb swap is not a waste of time, it may not be for everyone, but it definitely has advantages

That all said... the throttle response, power band, tune-ability, MPG, and overall improvement in performance is undeniable.

It is a WASTE of time, $$$ and effort. ALL of that is far better with EFI even a basic TBI setup. Carbs are harder to get right than EFI ever though about as well. This is coming from someone who knows how to get the most from both a carb and EFI. A single big block TBI unit is equivalent to a 650 cfm carb. A single small block TBI unit is roughly the same as a 390 cfm 4bbl. A pair of small block TBI units will feed the healthiest naturally aspirated street oriented small block around with ease. I have tuned a factory blown dual TBI 502 big block up over 800 hp once the tiny stock 256 mega blower was swapped out for something better. Engine started life as a 575SCI then got a Dyers 8-71 kit.

Last edited:

Medic0893

Reaction score
Modern EFI I wouldn’t argue, but this era TBI lacks technology and design to offer any advantage over carbs. Like I said: It’s not for everybody

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no fan of the TBIs, but what technology is it lacking, other than a decent interface? It has a throttle position sensor, O2 sensor, cam sensor (in the distributor), and idle air control just like modern EFI. It also has better emissions controls than a carburetor. If you can interface with it you can get data stream that carburetors can't match.

I've gone so far as to drill my own carburetor jets to tune an engine, so I'm not scared of carburetors, but EFI is a definite improvement.