Carb Swapping a 93 Tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buschlightboy

Reaction score
I plan on swapping my truck over to carb and have had a lot of miss information on getting the transmission to shift. Trying to just put tps on carb and run it that way if possible. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I plan on swapping my truck over to carb and have had a lot of miss information on getting the transmission to shift. Trying to just put tps on carb and run it that way if possible. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

would need to know which truck/engine/transmission you are referring to.. there are differences between years, whether its 4l60, 700r4,(use shift cables) 4L80E (uses TPS)

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would need to know which truck/engine/transmission you are referring to.. there are differences between years, whether its 4l60, 700r4,(use shift cables) 4L80E (uses TPS)
A 4L60 and 700R4 are the same thing, evolution of a TH350. A 4L60E is an electronically controlled evolution of the same trans, and a 4L80E is different animal altogether. It's an evolution of a TH400

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 4L60 and 700R4 are the same thing, evolution of a TH350. A 4L60E is an electronically controlled evolution of the same trans, and a 4L80E is different animal altogether. It's an evolution of a TH400

Yes i know... thats why i asked what he had, so someone could answer the question he had about his transmission shifting..

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1993 was the changeover year from the 4L60 to 4L60e. If you have a 4L60, drop it on and go. If you have a 4L60e it would be cheaper and easier to fix your TBI.

buschlightboy

Reaction score
Truck is a 93 K1500 has 350 and 4l60

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's actually a 4L60 and not a 4L60e it doesn't use the ECM to shift. It's all TV cable and internal pressures. But! Absolutely make sure your TV cable is adjusted properly or you'll burn your transmission up.

Here's the throttle cable bracket I used with my Sniper, and it's probably what you'll need if you're going Holley.

Medic0893

Reaction score
1. Carb swap is not a waste of time, it may not be for everyone, but it definitely has advantages
2. The "E" transmissions have different requirements depending on the year of the truck. Late 90's is much different than early 90's. It is possible to have it shift properly without a costly trans computer. Pay specific attention to the wiring requirements. There are already several YouTube videos on this
3. An aftermarket TPS will be required. Doesn't matter which one you get, they all do the same thing.
4. There's a lot more to swapping than people let on. Depending on intake and carb choices, there's a bunch of "little things" that need to be addressed: Heater hose, power brake hose, throttle linkage, fuel delivery, wiring, wiring, wiring...

That all said... the throttle response, power band, tune-ability, MPG, and overall improvement in performance is undeniable.