Carb swap questions???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can add that you can convert to manual trans and the ECM won't set a DTC. I figured the ECM would miss the transmission, but didn't. I did have an accurate speed sensor. Accepted the "loss" and ran great. Eventually went to Q'jet and a few engine improvements. And the cruise works without the ECM. Cool.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dylank1500

Reaction score
hello everyone, I am brand new to this site so bare with me, Im not even sure if im posting this correctly or in the right place. I have a 1994 k1500 4x4 tbi 350 with the 4l60E. I currently have a rod knock in the engine so I am pulling it out for a rebuild. I am planning on throwing some goodies at it during the rebuild so I wanted to ditch the tbi and go with a carb. I know a lot of people will disagree especially this day in age but I don't care, everyone to their own right? I am just a carb guy, electronics and I don't seem to get along lol.. anyway I have been reading in a lot of places that I can run my 4l60e without having to buy an aftermarket tranny controller. Ill start off with From my understanding I do not need to change my distributer but I am going to because I want to have vacuum advance. This project is going to be on a fairly strict budget which is half the reason im gonna be running a carb and because I already have it as well as the HEI vacuum advance distributer(gave to me from a friend) plus I like the simplicity. everything in the truck is gonna be staying as is (like the computer, wiring, etc.) so from what I read all I gotta do to make my tranny work is a TPS on my carb which is fine im not worried about that and have the VSS hooked up on my tranny which should be fine as im not gonna be interfering with that. the part im having some confusion about is the purple/white wire that is on the 4 wire plug on the back of my distributer. I know I have to unplug that and only use the purple/white wire and have it tied into the white wire on the negative side of my coil (tach). the thing is I read two different reasons for this, one said it controls my fuel pump and another says it sends my rpm signals to the tranny basically so it can distinguish when the engine is under load in conjunction with my TPS for change in shift points.( this makes more sense to me) as for my fuel pump I am planning on using a aftermarket 12V fuel pump for a carb set up anyway as I have that already as well. basically I just want to know if anybody here has done this and knows it works for sure. if not can help lead me in the right direction.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m running an Edelbrock 600 CFM carb on my 350. I’m doing basically everything you are with the exception that I’m running the stock in-tank fuel pump through a pressure regulator. I’ve put just over 3k miles on this setup without a hitch, although I do think I need to go up a jet size. Here’s a thread where a lot of your same questions were asked and answered: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/350-swap-questions.45963/

dylank1500

Reaction score
I’m running an Edelbrock 600 CFM carb on my 350. I’m doing basically everything you are with the exception that I’m running the stock in-tank fuel pump through a pressure regulator. I’ve put just over 3k miles on this setup without a hitch, although I do think I need to go up a jet size. Here’s a thread where a lot of your same questions were asked and answered: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/350-swap-questions.45963/

thank you very much. all of that pretty well summed up everything I was wondering. and I to will be running a 600cfm edelbrock carb( ill keep that in mind about up sizing my jets) and the US Shift TPS .only thing I gotta do now is get my engine internals and the TPS and an intake, I got the rest. I cant wait to get at this project, plus I need my truck back in a reliable state hahaha. as far as im concerned rod knocking isn't very reliable lol. I wont be throwing any major performance upgrades at it as I just want my daily driver back on the road and what ever is gonna be fairly cheaper, maybe different pistons to up the compression a bit and a little bit bigger cam. nothing major at all seems its gonna be running stock tbi heads. maybe later I will find a set of vortec heads for a decent price, but im not worried about that right now. just want it realiable and moving and as less electronic interference as possible lol.

Wintergreen98

Reaction score
I installed a 750cfm holley on my 350 vortec using the stock pump and a cheap ebay fuel regulator. I can barely adjust the regulator and it will pour fuel out the vent tube and shut off but if I adjust it the other way it doesn't get enough fuel to fill the bowls. I don't know what I need to do to fix this. Any suggestions?