Car Gauge Pro can read CMP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It may be something with the OBD adapter then.

Just to make sure, you loosen the distributor hold-down clamp, grab the top of the distributor, twist, check the reading and retighten. The ear that the distributor cap screw goes into will nearly touch the upper intake manifold when it’s set close.

Do you have the P1345 code showing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chimneyman420

Reaction score
It may be something with the OBD adapter then.

Just to make sure, you loosen the distributor hold-down clamp, grab the top of the distributor, twist, check the reading and retighten. The ear that the distributor cap screw goes into will nearly touch the upper intake manifold when it’s set close.

Do you have the P1345 code showing?

Yes and yes

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What brand adapter do you have? I have a BAFX brand, it works well enough but lately disconnects fairly frequently. If you’re getting the same result from the two apps, the adapter may be the problem.

What a pain, huh.

Chimneyman420

Reaction score
What brand adapter do you have? I have a BAFX brand, it works well enough but lately disconnects fairly frequently. If you’re getting the same result from the two apps, the adapter may be the problem.

What a pain, huh.

What a pain, huh.

Yeah it is. The first one I got was a $5 elm327 knock off clone that wouldn't connect to ecm. Then got one from OBD Innovation. It connects and reads other pids in live data. Just recently purchased the blue driver but doesn't connect to dashcommand. Haven't tried it car gauge pro

Last edited:

Chimneyman420

Reaction score

What a pain, huh.

Sorry been so long to give a update. I got the bafx adapter and was able to read Cmp retard. Ended up buying a new distributor and installed it. Made sure I set tdc on compression stroke. Needless to say I still can't get it right. Closest I've been able to get was +6. I'm starting to think that my timing chain maybe stretched a little. Haven't checked yet but will give you update when I can afford to do that.

Lou Merrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bringing old thread alive again to see if anyone with a 96 had any good results with reading their cam retard??

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can imagine having problems when trying to use some consumer-grade scan tool. I have trouble believing there's an inherent problem with the vehicle computer.

In other words, it's the tool, not the vehicle that's the problem.