Cap/Rotor/Ignition Wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arts89Iroc

Reaction score
Hello folks, just wondering what cap/rotor/ignition wires yall running in your trucks. My dad gave me his 96 5.0L extended cab, and now that im getting time to work on it just wondering what yall recommed? I had really good luck with Taylor wires/MSD cap and rotor/MSD ignition coil in my 5.7 IROC-Z.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
MSD does not have the greatest reputation when it comes to coils. I've read multiple times people have had better results re-installing the original coil, or getting one from the salvage yard. I still have my original, and an NGK on standby.

I've had Taylor Spiro Pro wires, and they worked, but I didn't like the plug ends. When those got replaced, I went with OEM. I just got a set of United Motor Products wires and cap/rotor with brass contacts.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I have the United Motor Products blue vented cap with brass contacts, and a Blue Streak rotor, on my 5.7 Vortec Burb. I have Belden wires to put on it, before Labor Day weekend. Several things to fix or check out on the Burb before then( my next road trip and it'll be running loaded and pulling a small trailer). I installed the cap and rotor in mid April and it's been money well spent.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a United Motor Products vented cap for my '97, but not installed yet. Looks good. No idea how it's going to work, especially long-term. I'm hopeful, though.

The last few vehicles I've put plug wires on, have gotten Summit house-brand cut-to-length helical-wound wires. Not expensive, and they fit "perfectly" since each wire is trimmed to the exact length needed. Made in USA.

(There's other colors besides red, and there's straight boots rather than 90 degree at the plug end. No doubt Jegs and others have similar products.)

I bought an MSD cap for my TBI truck...and then sent it back because I don't need to pay MSD prices for cheap Chinese crap. Same goes for most MSD ignition coils.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MSD does not have the greatest reputation when it comes to coils. I've read multiple times people have had better results re-installing the original coil, or getting one from the salvage yard. I still have my original, and an NGK on standby.

I've had Taylor Spiro Pro wires, and they worked, but I didn't like the plug ends. When those got replaced, I went with OEM. I just got a set of United Motor Products wires and cap/rotor with brass contacts.
AC Delco or Delphi. Don't argue with me....... :)

Having said that, things change, and the next cap and rotor change in one of my 4 Vortecs I may consider the vented cap.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
AC Delco or Delphi. Don't argue with me....... :)

Having said that, things change, and the next cap and rotor change in one of my 4 Vortecs I may consider the vented cap.

Yeah normally, I'd go that way too..... just bought a US made AC Delco cap for my Buick. I wanted to try the vented cap, and if they went to the expense of brass contacts, I figure there's a chance it'll be a quality part. Their wires have been fine in my Saturn, too.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be doing mine soon and getting factory parts - wonder if there is any upgrades within that for the L31 1996... Camaro or Vette...