Cap/Rotor/Ignition Wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does vented cap mean what it sounds like? I live in a high humidity area (SC) - would that invite trouble?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Does vented cap mean what it sounds like? I live in a high humidity area (SC) - would that invite trouble?
I live in Houston, Texas and we had a a very humid and wet spring after I installed the vented cap and new rotor in mid April this year. No issues with moisture getting in the distributor.
The distributor is supposed to have vent holes in its base. Some don't, and sometimes they get clogged up. The way the vent on the cap looks, I think the truck would have to be submerged for water/moisture to get in that way.
And the brass contacts make it less susceptible to moisture problems anyway.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
The PO of my truck installed an Accel coil. I started cooking ICM's to the tune of one a week at the last. Went to the treasure yard and pulled two OEM coils. Installed one and had to replace a suspect ICM that died. It had been run on the Accel coil. A new ICM has been running for about 3 weeks now with no issues.

Ken

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The PO of my truck installed an Accel coil. I started cooking ICM's to the tune of one a week at the last. Went to the treasure yard and pulled two OEM coils. Installed one and had to replace a suspect ICM that died. It had been run on the Accel coil. A new ICM has been running for about 3 weeks now with no issues.

Ken

When my original died, I replaced it with one from Orielly. It lasted about a year, and they replaced it under warranty. I think the replacement got replaced too, in another year, but I don't recall for sure. I just got one from Rockauto a few days ago to keep on hand. I think it's a WVE/NTK. On the 454 they're hard to reach, so I tentatively plan on swapping the screws to Allen head and will keep a wrench in the glove box. I still have my original coil, but have not tested in thoroughly, yet. Schurkey posted some instructions for doing so.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have the United Motor Products blue vented cap with brass contacts, and a Blue Streak rotor, on my 5.7 Vortec Burb. I have Belden wires to put on it, before Labor Day weekend. Several things to fix or check out on the Burb before then( my next road trip and it'll be running loaded and pulling a small trailer). I installed the cap and rotor in mid April and it's been money well spent.

I finally ordered and received the vented UMP cap.... actually I bought their tune up kit: cap, rotor, wires, wire clips. I've already got copper NGK plugs in boxes. Hopefully, I'll get to it soon.

I Googled the Belden wires.... looks like it's a Belden/NAPA partnership of some kind.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
One thing to consider when using a vented cap is the rubber seal that runs on top of the cowl that seals the hood and cowling can over time become compressed and can leak--almost invariably right on top of the friggin' distributor.......

My rubber seal is sitting on my parts shelf....I guess I can put it back on whenever I get around to installing the vented cap. I don't even remember why I took it off.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some folks remove the seal at the rear of the hood in a misguided attempt to "vent hot under-hood air". Problem is, of course, that the back of the hood is in a high-pressure area when the vehicle is moving. Instead of venting hot under-hood air, outside air is blowing into the engine compartment (think about the "cowl induction" hoods--of course the air is traveling into the engine compartment.) Air coming into the engine compartment from the back of the hood raises the pressure in the engine compartment, which reduces the airflow through the radiator.

The secondary purpose of that seal is to keep water out.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I finally ordered and received the vented UMP cap.... actually I bought their tune up kit: cap, rotor, wires, wire clips. I've already got copper NGK plugs in boxes. Hopefully, I'll get to it soon.

I Googled the Belden wires.... looks like it's a Belden/NAPA partnership of some kind.
Sounds about right; I got them at Napa. Second Saturday discount, and I got AC plugs then too. Changed those when I did the cap and rotor, and the coil wire. But it got hot before I got to the plug wires... I want to take my time and route them properly. But I need to do them before the next trip. We'll be past 200K by then and hauling a load, in September in central Texas. Want everything to be as good as can be....
I don't like being stuck on the side of the road. That's why I have a Chevy lol:boti: