Can't load torsion bars too stiff or wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duallylife

Reaction score
Ok so for the last few weekends I have been trying to change the torsion bars in my 93 k3500, I was told go a set stiffer since these ones flattened out, and I have 2 plow harnesses, and Will be adding a heavy front bumper. And my plow is a heavy one. So I went from factory GL to XG bars. Due to the bars not coming out and my one LCA having a small rot hole I went to a wreckers and got a set of forged LCA's from a 8lug 2500 on the advice of a few guys who have used them instead of my stamped ones. The indexing looks the same on them, and I put the torsion bar in the passenger side knowing they're side and front to back specific.. And I noticed my old bars relaxed the keys sat horizontal (facing 9 o'clock or so.) the new ones either sit maxed out in the crossmember giving me no tension at all, or around 7 o'clock. I got too scared trying to load them with my buddy's tool for fear of losing fingers since I was cranking pretty hard with a 24" ratchet, at that point I stuck a jack under the LCA and lifted hardly moving it before I was lifting the whole truck. I grabbed a bottle jack and stuck it up against the key since its stronger then the tool and jacked up untill it lifted the truck off the Jack stand and I was still just shy of being able to get the adjuster bolt in. Should it be that hard?, were mine that sagged? Or am I doing something wrong that I'm not seeing? I'm afraid of either breaking something or having no suspension at all, if I manage to crank them in will they maybe "relax and settle" a bit over time?

I can only blame myself here, but I'm sort of screwed here since this is my work truck and I had to torch the old bars off to get them and the LCA's off they were rusted so bad so I have nothing to put back in if need be.

Duallylife

Reaction score
Update, I decided to press on despite the many bad noises... I finally have the key resting against the adjusting block without the bolt. My suspension I believe is beyond maxed for drop I think it bent the frame stop? And when I set that corner in the ground and bounce on the front end there is no movement at all, not even a 1mm.. Again what could have clocked my keys so different?
You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ride height and spring rate are two different things. Most of these trucks put the UCA into the bumpstop at a little over 2.5 inches above stock give or take. It doesn't matter which torsion bar is in it, that's the most you're going to get out of the stock suspension.

The heavier bars should be clocked the same as the stock ones. One flat off is enough to create all the problems your describing. Reclock the bars and it will go together much easier.