Cannot find fuel rails for this intake manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The reason you can't find aftermarket fuel rails for it is because it's 2022 and that garbage is no longer supported.

;)

GM literally invented the greatest engine lineage ever, and they did it right in the middle of the GMT-400 years, there is no reason whatsoever that anyone should cling to the trash that came in these trucks. You cannot make any argument that the 100% dumpster fire TBI crap that came in these trucks stock is worth keeping, so stop.

Throw it in the scrap bin and get an LS.

We own the best looking trucks in the history of the Chevy truck line, take the technology they've given us and run with it.

I don't want this to sound like I'm being a jerk here, I read these forums every day, and I see you guys trying to spend money to make your trucks go faster and perform better, I totally get that. That's how we all got started. But relative to the money and time you're spending, stop. The returns you will get are a waste of time. Go get a junkyard 4.8 or 5.3 and get after it!

You have only been a member here for a short time, and you come in here spewing this B.S. to a guy that is looking for advice? What are you, 12??

Once you have actually put an LS in a truck and can show us the pictures, then you might actually have a (small amount) of knowledge that is worth sharing with the masses here.

I made much of my money driving LS powered trucks, and prefer an L31 in my own vehicle. The LS is an improvement, but it comes at a bit of a cost. No improvements come without a compromise.

Get a clue, than come back - with pictures of your running/driving swapped truck.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have only been a member here for a short time, and you come in here spewing this B.S. to a guy that is looking for advice? What are you, 12??

Once you have actually put an LS in a truck and can show us the pictures, then you might actually have a (small amount) of knowledge that is worth sharing with the masses here.

I made much of my money driving LS powered trucks, and prefer an L31 in my own vehicle. The LS is an improvement, but it comes at a bit of a cost. No improvements come without a compromise.

Get a clue, than come back - with pictures of your running/driving swapped truck.
To be fair he did apologize...

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I actually found some fuel rails that go to a speedmaster intake that work perfectly for my intake. I will just have to drill some holes for the mounting points.

If you do this, please take pics and keep us posted. This would be pretty cool.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I am right there with you on preferring the L31 and I have a 6.0L swapped vehicle too. Then again the 496 Mag HO cammed 8.1 in my 1999 Tahoe is more fun to drive than either of the small blocks.

The 6.0L is in an 87 G20 van. Low mileage LQ4 with LLoyd Elliot ported 862s that have 2.00/1.55 valves and BTR Dual springs, chambers were worked and they were milled 0.020". It is at 10.5:1 static compression with GM 0.53 MLS head gaskets. It has a Comp XR269HR in it. It has a TBSS intake manifold and 5.3L flex fuel injectors with a 90mm DBW throttle body and a pair of Speed Engineering C10 swap 1-3/4" primary long tubes into a dual 2.5" to single 3.5" exhaust using a merge Y. It has electric fans and a 25% underdrive crank pulley. It has a 4" air intake and 100mm MAF as well.

My L31 based engine is in my 1997 Express. It is an 11:1 383 with 6" rods. Off-shore cast Assault Racing aluminum heads that have 215cc intake ports, 2.02/1.60 valves, also ported by Lloyd Elliot. It has a Comp Custom grind 218/228 @ 0.050 cam cut on a 108 LSA. It has 1.7 roller rockers on it for 0.578 lift. It has Rhoads V-Max lifters cold lashed at 0.016" off the bottom of the lifters travel. It has a hand ported L31 truck intake with a 48 lb/hr AUS Injection spider. It has Thorley Tri-Y headers that are 1 5/8" primary, to 2" secondary to a 2.5" collector that flow into the factory 3" dual to the muffler piping from the Express using high flow 3" cats and a dual in/single out bus muffler with a 4" tailpipe. The 383 has an 80mm BBK throttle body and a custom 4" air intake. The 383 was not cheap to build but absolutely DESTROYS the 6.0L at every rpm point from idle to 6,500 rpm. The 6.0L build and swap was also not a cheap one. The 383 cost probably $800 more than the 6.0L, but is a 100% new build vs a used short block, used injectors, used coils, sensors, etc. Naturally aspirated in a heavy vehicle the 383 L31 all the way.

The 383 is a little monster, idles like it means business and not at all afraid to leap to redline (6,200 rpm fuel kill) when the throttle is opened.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1987 G20 with a 6.0L
You must be registered for see images attach

1997 Express with a L31 based 383

I was actually playing around with cam specs in the 6.0L on engine analyzer today. Wanted to see how much if any better Truck Norris would do than the Comp cam currently in the thing. BTR sadly does not provide enough information for an informed buyer to even consider their products!!!! The few specs they provide do not provide enough information to make heads or tails out of the cam for a modified application. BTR should fix this because I for one am not shelling out a penny for their cam without proper specs. That being said, best guestimate that there is not enough power difference on the table to open the 6.0L up. I had previously built the 383 to exact specification on it as well. Both engines are modeled down to bearing sizes, ring type, exact compression ratio, valvetrain and camshaft specifics, plenum and runner dimensions and all kinds of small details. It takes several hours a piece to plug in all the details and input the dimensions on the program from a build sheet. As it also does in real life, the 383 DESTROYS the 6.0L everywhere in the model. I find it interesting that the overall power curve spits out looking similar, with the L31 383 curve shifted to the lower rpm range and higher overall. The intake port sizes, intake runner length difference and larger cross-sectional area, smaller plenum volume as well as fewer cubic inches, shorter stroke, and longer rod length all hurt the low-speed torque of the 6.0L.

6.0L

Last edited:

MrOverCast

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you very much! What im actually doing is im taking a L31 wiring harness and im putting it in my 85 chevy C20 that has a crab and distributor. They are the same motor but all im doing is changing the intake manifold to a Accel multi port and changing the timing cover to accept one with a provision for the crank sensor. as well as other odds and ends. Vortec distributor, Fuel pump, etc. heres a video of my project so far L31 Wiring harness. I personally love the L31 and I want to do something no one has ever done before.

Scott Davison

Reaction score
It's easy to make rails. When I decided to go with the much shorter Dodge injectors for my Pro Flow 3500, the stock rails and pipes went in the dumpster.

A little math, a lot of measuring, some big taps, drills and sand rolls and you can make anything you like.

Attachments

• 20200809_183418.jpg
    20200809_183418.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 14