Can you put an 82' 350 in where a 94 350 was

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bburban94

Reaction score
I have a 94 suburban I took the engine out for reasons I don't need to get into but I found a engine out of a 82' dually it is also a 350 but the accessories drive are different what would I need to do to get this engine to work in my truck I'm lost Want my truck to LIVE

Attachments

• 20220408_171652.jpg
    20220408_171652.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220408_171628.jpg
    20220408_171628.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flywheel/flexplate to suit the '82 crankshaft and starter.

TBI distributor with coil and EST module

TBI accessory brackets and accessories including reverse-rotation water pump and all the pullies/tensioner/serpentine belt

TBI 5.7L knock sensor

TBI exhaust manifolds, or suitable headers with O2 sensor bung and O2 sensor

TBI-to-carburetor intake manifold adapter plate. Maybe an adapter for the EGR, if the IAC interferes with the EGR valve.

TBI-style oil filter adapter (4wd)

Bburban94

Reaction score
Flywheel/flexplate to suit the '82 crankshaft and starter.

TBI distributor with coil and EST module

TBI accessory brackets and accessories including reverse-rotation water pump and all the pullies/tensioner/serpentine belt

TBI 5.7L knock sensor

TBI exhaust manifolds, or suitable headers with O2 sensor bung and O2 sensor

TBI-to-carburetor intake manifold adapter plate. Maybe an adapter for the EGR, if the IAC interferes with the EGR valve.

TBI-style oil filter adapter (4wd)
Can I not put my intake manifold with my tbi unit inplace of the carb and intake it sits on I have all of the parts I took off my tbi motor

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I not put my intake manifold with my tbi unit inplace of the carb and intake it sits on
Since I don't see Schurkey here I'll answer.

Nope, the 2 middle bolts on each side of the TBI manifold are drilled at a different angle (72° IIRC). You may be able to make it work but, it's easier to get a 4 BBL manifold with a TBI adapter plate. The TBI manifold that fits your engine is waaaay too expensive.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bburban94

Reaction score
Ok thank you so much another question the bellhousing bolts should all be in the same location right and should my accessory drive brackets bolt up on 82' just like my 94'?

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm told that guys have re-drilled the TBI manifold to install on non-TBI (old style) heads.

I looked at that for my truck, and I have no idea how they made it work. Looked impossible to me, which is why I installed a GM "ZZ4" intake manifold I got off eBay for a hundred dollars.

Going the other way--old-style manifold on TBI heads--seems very do-able.

Even that ZZ4 manifold took extra effort, particularly on the EGR,but also on the coil mounting, the heater outlet, the EST mounting, PCV, and the vacuum pipe to the brake booster. I never did get the brace to the A/C compressor installed, it'll have to be re-made from scratch to fit one of the intake-to-head bolts.

If you DON'T use the TBI intake manifold, use intake gaskets that suit the manifold, not the stock TBI intake gasket set.

What did work out very well was the brace from thermostat bolt to the belt tensioner, the brace from the alternator to the side of the intake, and the overall height and position of the Throttle Body--I had to readjust the throttle valve cable, but the throttle cable and cruise control cable worked as-is. Same with the air cleaner and duct.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a 400 with TBI stuff in a 90 I had 20+ years ago. Not much has changed block wise from then till the Vortec stuff. It all bolts on....

Bburban94

Reaction score
I'm told that guys have re-drilled the TBI manifold to install on non-TBI (old style) heads.

I looked at that for my truck, and I have no idea how they made it work. Looked impossible to me, which is why I installed a GM "ZZ4" intake manifold I got off eBay for a hundred dollars.

Going the other way--old-style manifold on TBI heads--seems very do-able.

Even that ZZ4 manifold took extra effort, particularly on the EGR,but also on the coil mounting, the heater outlet, the EST mounting, PCV, and the vacuum pipe to the brake booster. I never did get the brace to the A/C compressor installed, it'll have to be re-made from scratch to fit one of the intake-to-head bolts.

If you DON'T use the TBI intake manifold, use intake gaskets that suit the manifold, not the stock TBI intake gasket set.

What did work out very well was the brace from thermostat bolt to the belt tensioner, the brace from the alternator to the side of the intake, and the overall height and position of the Throttle Body--I had to readjust the throttle valve cable, but the throttle cable and cruise control cable worked as-is. Same with the air cleaner and duct.
Can I put my tbi heads on this block