can you put a camaro intake manifold on a 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The swap is much more simple with a manual transmission truck.
The stock TBI computer can be tuned (flashed not proms) and can run multi port for the TPI setup after a Dynamic EFI conversion.

Other option is a FAST or other aftermarket EFI system.

I’ll be TPI swapping my K3500 with an NV4500 using a dynamic EFI tuning setup

No other intake even comes close to the TPI for torque production making it the ultimate setup for a truck

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No intake matches the low end torque of a TPI intake arrangement
That is where you are WRONG! Dual plane intake excels at torque production especially since it has a cooling effect from the fuel atomizing inside it that helps pack the cylinders at low rpm. The TPI is tuned for resonance wave peak at 3,200 rpm and the same long runners that boost the torque so strongly at 3,200 rpm cost torque production on both ends of the torque curve. Down at 1,000-2,000 rpm a short runner LT1 or Ramjet intake makes more torque than a TPI. The TPI intake runners also heat soak like no other and until you get airflowing through them at WOT the hot air hurts the cylinder fill some as well. I have run both intakes on the same engine in the same van. The TPI was much softer on the low-end to the point I put a S10 converter that ended up stalling 2,700 rpm in it to replace the factory converter that stalled 1,600 rpm to get the heavy van rolling with its factory 3.08 rear gears.

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is where you are WRONG! Dual plane intake excels at torque production especially since it has a cooling effect from the fuel atomizing inside it that helps pack the cylinders at low rpm. The TPI is tuned for resonance wave peak at 3,200 rpm and the same long runners that boost the torque so strongly at 3,200 rpm cost torque production on both ends of the torque curve. Down at 1,000-2,000 rpm a short runner LT1 or Ramjet intake makes more torque than a TPI. The TPI intake runners also heat soak like no other and until you get airflowing through them at WOT the hot air hurts the cylinder fill some as well. I have run both intakes on the same engine in the same van. The TPI was much softer on the low-end to the point I put a S10 converter that ended up stalling 2,700 rpm in it to replace the factory converter that stalled 1,600 rpm to get the heavy van rolling with its factory 3.08 rear gears.

Literally every single dyno run ever in existence shows a TPI making more torque than a dual plane intake.
Runner length wins every single time as has been proven for a few decades now

You’re information is 100% wrong and that isn’t going to change now or ever for any gas engine.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Literally every single dyno run ever in existence shows a TPI making more torque than a dual plane intake.
Except the effective runner length is shorter on an isolated runner TPI than it is on a dual plane. Read Vizards article on intake design sometime, might elighten you to how a dual plane actually works. The resonance reflected wave is double the distance from valve to valve on a dual plane. I have never seen a comparison from idle to 3,000 rpm in an actual dyno test outside of GMs rated power numbers but I am telling you what was blatently obvious in my van. I ran a test from 1,500-redline on a TBI vs TPI and the TBI had a solid lead on the TPI under 2,900 rpm. Low-speed power sucked with the TPI. Cruise set at 70 mph, turning 1,700 rpm, the transmission had to downshift to 3rd on hills it pulled in overdrive with the TBI on a dual plane. 60' times and even 330' times where better with the TBI as well. The TPI could not match them until I put more stall speed in it, then I feel the TBI probably would have run equally quicker with the higher stall speed. The TPI ran slightly slower times and mph as well when the runners hit the wall at higher rpm. TPI stopped building power at 4,800 rpm and just stayed flat until I shifted at about 5,800 rpm. The TBI I would shift at 6,200. Obviously not a stock cam, swirl port head TBI engine.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You’re information is 100% wrong and that isn’t going to change now or ever for any gas engine.
Telling you right now, I ran the darn thing in a head to head kind of analysis and your data is wrong. Under 3,000 rpm the TBI makes more torque. I put plenty of seat time and miles on both setups and the loss of low-speed torque was easily noticeable. Since you believe you know so much, put the TPI on there.

Back in the FSC days another guy put TPI on his TBI 350, believe it was CCReddell.. He ended up pulling it back off and putting an edelbrock 3704 bored to 50mm with a 50mm TBI because he could not stand the torque loss of the TPI off-idle and in 95% of the normal driving rpm band.

I will also state that my 2", 50mm TBI had the throttle cam with a non linear progressive opening cam on the throttle. It pulled the blades open more slowly off idle and then quicker over 1/2 throttle. My TPI had an early style linear opening 52mm performance throttle body. It still took more throttle opening and thus higher MAP readings to get the TPI rolling along in normal driving.

Edit- I will also mention the old 83 probably had 500 passes in the 1/8 mile and 200 in the 1/4 on it. It was dead consistent with weather correction factor applied for atmospheric conditions. I won multiple bracket races with it, so much that some hated lining up next to it. The 60' and 330' slower times were definately noticeable with the TPI and stock converter with the vans 3.08 gears. I went from like a 2.1s 60' to 2.2s 60'. 1 tenth in the 60' is 2 tenths down the track to have to make up and it never really could catch up with the 60' loss. Best times on the TBI setup was 13.90s @ 101 mph. The best the TPI ever ran was a 14.1 @ 99 pre converter. With the converter I eventually got the TPI to run a 13.7 @ 99-100 mph. The converter knocked my 60' down to 2.0x fairly consistently.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still interested in what engine the OP is working on and what intake manifold he is contemplating.