Can Wheel Spacers Cause Issue with Wheel Bearings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet I have more experience doing wheel bearings than anyone else here - my military career field involves performing inspections on equipment that requires cleaning and repacking wheel bearings. I read the last sentence above about replacing bearing races requiring "a punch and hammer and a lot of cussing" and I had to think waaaay back to remember struggling with the races. I was honestly confused for a moment.

Bearings don't have to be perfectly packed, but they need plenty of grease inside the cages.

If you merely pack the wheel bearings and don't add grease inside the hubs or bearing cap, you are absolutely doing it wrong. I've had to clean up a bunch of rust inside hubs because of this. I add a plop of grease inside the hub, and I add a plop of grease inside the cap. Don't overfill your hub with grease or when it heats up you can push the seal out.

I never seat the seals all the way down. Flush with the hub is perfect UNLESS a groove has been worn on the spindle. If that's the case, set the seal a little deeper or a little shallower. I don't like leaving the seal above flush, so typically I'll set it a little deeper.

If the dust cap is damaged, don't try and make it work, don't try and seal it with RTV. Replace it.

When tightening wheel bearings, the old school thought was to tighten it snug and back it off two flats. That always leaves your bearings too loose. On my Mustang that was 1/4" play in the toe. I tighten until it's snug (probably about 10 lb/ft), and only back it off to where I can get a cotter pin through.

When removing the races, it's simply a matter of confidence and force. Always use a brass punch if available, and always use a heavy hammer. Hold the punch firmly against the race and hit that mother-lover like you mean it. Alternate sides with every strike. It will pop free, even if it's rusty. If I can teach a 120 lb female who's not sure why she's in a maintenance career field to remove bearing races like a pro, you can do it, too. Installation is the opposite of removal, except that the lip of the race is even smaller. If you don't have a brass punch and you use steel, you can't miss, and you can't hit too hard or you'll buckle the edge of the race. Keep hammering it down until the race fully seats. As Frank mentioned above, you'll hear the tone of the hammer strike change when it bottoms. I always like to double-check with my finger to check that the race is all the way down - be careful, there may be sharp edges.

It's a good idea to pop that bearing cap off annually and look at the grease. If it's clear and has the original color, it's likely fine. If the color is fading to black, you have metal contamination - take it apart, clean the hub and bearings, examine the bearings, replace whichever is bad, and replace the seal. If the grease is opaque, you got moisture in the hub. Take it apart, clean it, inspect, and replace the grease and seal.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Erik can you give any insight on continuing to fight using a punch, instead of spending the bucks on an install set? Even current pricing on the Lisle set that has served me so well over the decades is under $60. It has more than paid for itself, many times over.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an install set also, but I can knock the races in and out faster than the time it takes me to find the right aluminum puck and put it on the handle. With a new race handy, I can grab my brass punch and hammer, knock out the old one, and install the new one in about a minute.

The install set is good if you're not confident you can hit the race squarely. The downside is you really have to pound it because you're hitting the entire face of the race.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never jammed a bunch of grease inside the hub; I generally pack the bearings thoroughly and wipe an extra bit around them before dropping them in the races, and then wipe a coating of grease inside the hub and on the spindle just to be sure nothing is left bare metal that can get rusty before the grease gets heated up and distributed throughout the assembly.
Ideally, there's a reasonable amount of grease in the hub, not just in/on the bearings. The hub can be packed too full; but I've never seen it.

Overtightening is a possibility but I'd think you would notice the resistance. I go by the practice of tightening the castle nut while spinning the rotor until it has noticeable drag, then back off 1 flat.
Spinning the rotor/drum is important, to get the rollers in the bearings aligned. If you look in the service manual, there's actual torque specs for this. I do adjustment "by hand" on tapered-roller bearings. I tighten the adjuster nut as tight as I can get my fingers to go--with the rotor spinning. Then back off only enough to get the cotter pin in place.

It seems like decades ago I bought my Lisle #12600 set, in fact it was, I bought it to do races on my '61 Apache because those are still ball bearing - one year before tapered roller bearing hubs. You really have to get the ball bearing hubs right, because otherwise they will happily grind themselves down smaller and smaller until they simply fall out of their cages and the hub lets go. :D
BALL wheel bearings need some PRELOAD.

Tapered-roller bearings need some clearance/free-play. (but not much.)

Most guys have never worked with ball-style wheel bearings.

You don't need anything weird to get the races out. A hammer and a punch w/ some safety goggles and foul language will get the old ones out.
Harsh language has solved more problems than is given credit for.

Bearings don't have to be perfectly packed, but they need plenty of grease inside the cages.
Easy to do both--perfectly packed with lots of grease inside the cages. My absolute favorite tool for this was invented by a small family-owned company specializing in automotive tools, mostly transmission-related. They must have sold-out, 'cause now I see the same product being peddled by Gearwrench as 2775D. Lisle sells a copy that's very similar but not identical. And--predictably--now there's fifteen brands of Communist Chinese knockoffs.

I've got two--one for automotive wheel bearings with regular grease, one for boat trailer bearings with marine grease.
www.amazon.com/GearWrench-2775D-Hand-Bearing-Packer/dp/B0002NYDYE/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Gearwrench+wheel+bearing&qid=1635012864&sr=8-3

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The trick with these is that they'll pack both bearings at the same time. Load the big (inner) bearing first, (smaller end down) drop the smaller (outer) bearing on top--also smaller end down. Put the plastic cone on top. Put the bearing packer with the bearings in it, on the floor. Put a paper towel over the packer. Step on the packer--your weight pushes the grease through the bearings. Doesn't take much, and if you're a big guy you could probably do this with your hands/arms on the bench...but I need extra force.

The paper towel keeps dirt from your shoes from falling into the fresh grease.

The packer comes with a storage cover to keep the grease pure between uses.

I never seat the seals all the way down. Flush with the hub is perfect UNLESS a groove has been worn on the spindle. If that's the case, set the seal a little deeper or a little shallower. I don't like leaving the seal above flush, so typically I'll set it a little deeper.
Agreed.

When removing the races, it's simply a matter of confidence and force. Always use a brass punch if available, and always use a heavy hammer. Hold the punch firmly against the race and hit that mother-lover like you mean it. Alternate sides with every strike. It will pop free, even if it's rusty. If I can teach a 120 lb female who's not sure why she's in a maintenance career field to remove bearing races like a pro, you can do it, too. Installation is the opposite of removal, except that the lip of the race is even smaller. If you don't have a brass punch and you use steel, you can't miss, and you can't hit too hard or you'll buckle the edge of the race. Keep hammering it down until the race fully seats. As Frank mentioned above, you'll hear the tone of the hammer strike change when it bottoms. I always like to double-check with my finger to check that the race is all the way down - be careful, there may be sharp edges.
Agreed on the brass punch if available (grind the "mushroom" off of the punch); and very much agreed on the "big hammer". A big hammer swung carefully is enormously less-likely to wreck something compared to a small hammer and lots of velocity.

When I start a new race, I use the old one as a "shield" on top of the new one. If I mark or damage the old race...who cares? This works until the new race is sunk far enough in the hub that the old race would be getting pressed in, too. But by then, the new race is going in square and beautiful.

It's a good idea to pop that bearing cap off annually and look at the grease. If it's clear and has the original color, it's likely fine. If the color is fading to black, you have metal contamination - take it apart, clean the hub and bearings, examine the bearings, replace whichever is bad, and replace the seal. If the grease is opaque, you got moisture in the hub. Take it apart, clean it, inspect, and replace the grease and seal.
Hmmm. I always see the grease going dark in the bearings; and I assumed it was discolored more due to heat than contamination. The grease in the hub--not directly in the bearings--stays "new" looking.

And as long as we're talking about grease:

Most manufacturers specify wheel bearing grease to be NLGI #2. NLGI is a grease-rating organization, the number is the viscosity. "000" is as runny as ketchup, "2" is typical, "6" is like cheese--really thick 'n' stiff.

Then they want "G" grease (suitable for bearings) and not "L" grease (suitable for chassis components--ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.) Further, both "G" and "L" have quality grades of A and B, with "G" also having a quality grade of "C". Disc brakes require "GC" grease--the highest quality. Many automotive greases are double-rated "LB--GC". Suitable for ball joints AND bearings. Grease has to be able to withstand the temperature range the parts will be operated at. That includes maximum temperature, but it also includes minimum temperature, too.

And DO NOT MIX GREASE FORMULATIONS. "Grease" doesn't lubricate anything. Grease is a filler material--thickener--plus some kind of lubricating oil. The filler just keeps the oil in suspension so it doesn't run out of a non-sealed area. There's a lot of different "fillers" used in grease making--everything from specially-prepared "dirt" (clay--Bentonite) to chemicals with too many syllables. And they don't all play well together. What do you suppose happens when a grease based on dirt mixes with grease made from a soap base? The soap tries to wash the dirt (clay) off the parts. There's many other grease bases, and many other incompatibilities.

RECOMMENDATION: Choose a single brand and type of NLGI #2 LB--GC rated grease that's available in tubs AND in grease-gun cartridges. Buy the tub to fill your wheel bearing packer, buy the cartridges for your grease-gun used on ball joints. Don't buy a different brand/style because it's on sale, or you get the urge to try something new. If you only have one kind of grease available, you CAN'T screw-up and use incompatible greases.

'Course, if you need a specialty grease--for rebuilding CV joints, for example--you buy what you gotta have.

Last edited:

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
This is my go to grease. I have been using this for over 20 years exclusively.

It also comes in tubs if you prefer.

Here is the link to the vendor's website so you can get all the info you want.

For God's sake never set it on fire! It is the world's worst smell. You have been warned.:doublepuke:

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't gotten the rotor with the bearing that exploded off the spindle yet, but I've been doing some post mortem on the bearings from the other hub in between getting the rest of the control arms and stuff off.

I let them soak in brake cleaner for a while and then poured that through some paper towels. There were lots of shiny flakes in there. The outer bearing had three rollers come out and the dividers were missing from the cage. So whatever I did I was consistent anyway :confused:. I can post pictures later if anyone thinks that would be valuable.

I can't find the receipt so I must have bought it locally, but I used Mobil 1 Synthetic https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...r-products/products/mobil-1-synthetic-grease/

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance those were cheap Chinese bearings? The Communist Chinese can screw-up ANYTHING.

Given the extent of the bearing carnage, inspect the spindles AND the hubs carefully for damage. Depending on how much the rotor wobbled when the bearings let go, you could have tweaked brake caliper pins, brake pad damage, etc.

And while I don't normally visit the service manual for info on wheel bearing adjustment, in this case I'm going to suggest that you do.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were Timken's from Amazon. I'm going back with new Elevated Concepts Control arms and React Suspension lowering spindles. I also had custom hubs made so I can do a 5th gen Camaro brake setup

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They were Timken's from Amazon. I'm going back with new Elevated Concepts Control arms and React Suspension lowering spindles. I also had custom hubs made so I can do a 5th gen Camaro brake setup
Do you have any more info on this brake setup?

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not done with it yet. I was taking my time with it, but with the bearing issue it kind of pushed my timetable up a bit. I still need to have caliper brackets made. But it's pretty simple.

Spindles - https://azproperformance.com/collec...-2-modular-drop-spindles-88-98-c1500-8898-001

Brake Parts - https://www.ebay.com/itm/172180345080?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Hub is a hybrid between the C1500 bearing housing and Camaro bolt pattern with the flange pushed outward to eliminate the spacers.

The Brackets should just need to be flat pieces with bosses for the caliper mounting bolts.