CAN 5.3 TOW 6000 LB TRAVEL TRAILER?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use a 2011 Suburban with 5.3/6L80 and this is exactly my experience with it. It does it fine, but it is gutless and sucks gas. It got better when I rebuilt the diffs and regeared to 4.10's, but it is still rough. We tow a 6k lb travel trailer with it and it will cruise at 70mph in 5th gear no problem. Pulling hills in the Cascades or coastal mountains it will drop to 55mph and 3rd gear usually. Part of that is that it is an AFM engine and has 230,000 miles on it. It is definitely hurt. I just recently got a donor 6.2 for it and am in the process of cleaning it up and rebuilding it with a decent towing cam to replace the 5.3, that should make it a much better tow vehicle.
The Express vans had a non-DOD setup but it was still struggling at low rpm. My guess is GM knew the weight/aerodynamic drag was too much on the vans for them to benifit from DOD.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks all. Sounds like I don't want a 327 for towing. 6.0 or 6.2
The '06 Yukon XL Denali we used to drive, hauled a loaded single or double axle trailer, loaded, on the highway, no problem, many times. 6.0 and 4L65E, 3.73 AWD. The truck hardly knew the trailer was there, till you stopped. Even then, not too terrible with 4 wheel disc brakes. And it was very quick around town, or unloaded. A 5.3 will do the job,but a 6.0/6.2 will do it better. Basically like difference between 350 and 454.....

weaponoffreedom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 94 Suburban 383 is kind of screwed up even tho only has 24,000 on it. Bent a pushrod, beat up the valve but having trouble finding an intake valve to replace it. So we're looking for another vehicle. A lot of the Burbs or Tahoes have the 5.3. Is that any good for trailer towing?? I think our TT weighs about 5000 lb loaded.
which 5.3?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
We had a big trailer come in the other day, pulled by a GMT 800 Burb. Half ton Burb, probably a 5.3, the Burb was moving it but squatting badly. Don't know how fast it could go because I just saw them as they made the corner to come into the park. Trailer has Mississippi plate on it, so if I see them I'll ask about the truck.

weaponoffreedom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the n
We had a big trailer come in the other day, pulled by a GMT 800 Burb. Half ton Burb, probably a 5.3, the Burb was moving it but squatting badly. Don't know how fast it could go because I just saw them as they made the corner to come into the park. Trailer has Mississippi plate on it, so if I see them I'll ask about the truck.
the newer DI 5.3 has more power than the 6.0......durability, no, power yes.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the n

the newer DI 5.3 has more power than the 6.0......durability, no, power yes.
Compared to a Gen III, peak HP yes, average torque and average power not even close. Comparing to a GenIV rectangle port/VVT the LY6 and L96 stomp a mudhole in the L83 especially with the same transmission behind them. My sister and brother in-law have owned 2014s since new and the only thing impressive is how much fuel they drink for as little power as they make. Remind me of a 70s 305 in stock form in the torque department. There is a reason the Vans and 2500s never had the L83 but kept the 6.0L and went to the 6.6.

Last edited: