Can’t find a 454SS, so I’m building my own!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve been on the lookout for a 454SS for quite some time now. Not many come up for sale here in Alaska, and the rare ones that do? Let’s just say they’re not worth their asking price. Anyway, I stumbled into a deal that was too good to pass up: I picked up this 96-98 Chevy SCSB 2WD today for $100! It’s obviously missing a few parts, but the chassis is extremely clean, and the cab and doors actually turned out to be in good shape as well.

The plan is to make it a realistically close clone to a 454SS, but do the upgrades that Chevy should’ve done originally! I planned on a cab swap initially, but this one is clean, so I may slightly deviate with a 96+ interior, but stay with the red interior like the originals had. The rear axle will be a 2WD 14 bolt from a light duty 3/4 ton, which I will order the correct 454SS axle shafts for.

As for the powertrain, I traded a 1999 Astro Van that I’ve been using as a storage unit, for a Gen VI Vortec 454 and 4L80E. The transmission will be converted to 2WD. The 454 has a rod knock, so it will get a forged rotating assembly, head studs, MLS gaskets, possibly a cam, and I would like to either convert to a 411 PCM or go with an aftermarket EFI controller such as the Terminator X or HP EFI, and boost it with a single turbo. I think 600HP, possibly even 600RWHP, should be easily obtainable at around 8 psi with this setup, which is really a stupid amount of power in a truck this light, while also keeping some semblance of reliability and allow it to stay on pump gas.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I spent the previous day cleaning out the Astro Van and getting it delivered to the new owner, and spent today getting the 454 and 4L80E completely prepped to pull in the morning!

Gotta love doing this outside in the dirt
Front end parts removed for easier access.

I’m taking the core support as well, since I can’t remember if the 454 was different or if they’re all the same.

Engine is ready for removal!

Transmission is also dropped and ready to slide out!

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Initially, I also wanted to make this as close to a real looking original 454SS as possible. However, with the 96+ cab and interior, and 96+ engine, I thought, why not build the 454SS Chevy could have built if they had kept making them into the 96+ trucks, and add the 96+ grille as well? It would be a subtle exterior change, and match the rest of the same model year parts.

Leaning that way for sure. I found a few close images with blacked out newer front grilles. I would stick with the amber side markers, red Chevy Sport emblem, and impact strips as they originally came, but these pictures are pretty close to what it would be and I’m definitely liking it!

This first picture is the closest! Even if I had to draw the emblem in

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I checked the data tag, and the Suburban that this is all coming from is a 1999! Pretty neat to be one of the later years. I still need to determine the actual year of the truck itself

So with everything ready from last night, this morning went pretty smooth and the engine and transmission came right out!

Loaded in the back of the truck

Transmission is out!

And the total haul for the day. I ended up grabbing the entire inside/outside harness, hydroboost unit and pedal, and the heater box since I couldn’t remember if mine was intact.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought an upgraded engine stand since a Big Block now exists in my shop, and I don’t put much trust the cheapo stands. The gear drive head is amazing, I should’ve invested in one of these years ago.

Here’s the real tell - difference in arm size between the standard and new arms!

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a chance to inspect the VIN today, and it looks like I have a 1997! I also threw the 454 up on the stand today, and again I can’t emphasize just how nice this crank is! Spins over a full iron BBC like it’s nothing! I pulled the water pump, balancer, timing cover, and oil pan to check out the crank.

Sure enough, #1 is loose.

I also extracted a broken oil cooler line fitting from the block.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made a huge score today! I had found a light duty (6 lug) 2WD 14 bolt rear axle locally, and had planned on pulling it this weekend. I figured I can get custom shafts made for it to convert it to the correct 5 lug. However, today, THIS popped up on Marketplace, and I couldn’t get down there fast enough! A REAL 454SS rear axle! Not only that, but the seller told me it was pulled (along with the engine and transmission) at 40k miles for a twin turbo 5.3L build! To top the deal off, he let it go for only $200!!

Proof of the real deal!

sweetk30

c3500-HD
Reaction score
if building the big block up and need to fix the crank and rods for the bad bearings just STROKE it to a 496 or bigger and be done with it .

love the idea here on the whole thing will be watching . :pepper:

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Subbed. Really interested to see how this turns out. There was a 454ss maybe 10 minutes drive from me that I always looked at as I went by, disappeared a few months ago. not sure if the owner just moved it or it went to a new home. If it went to the yard it's better I not know for sure lol. Maybe one of these days I'll go over in the middle of the night and look around. Might take a hoist with me just incase

:pepper: