Camshaft 350 v8 5.7 - 1988 k1500 Scottdale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Wow, thank you for that lengthy response, that really helps us out! I agree with the other responses so far. Keep trying the easy stuff first like the fuel/air diagnostics stated by others and new compression check.

Camshafts rarely go bad but I'm not saying it isn't bad yet.

Then if there's no improvement and your still suspecting a bad camshaft, pull the valve covers and try adjusting the valves if there's one valve that needs excessive adjustment its either the lifter collapsed (common problem) or a worn lobe on the cam.

Oh... have you checked the condition of the timing chain yet?

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
Wow, thank you for that lengthy response, that really helps us out! I agree with the other responses so far. Keep trying the easy stuff first like the fuel/air diagnostics stated by others and new compression check.

Camshafts rarely go bad but I'm not saying it isn't bad yet.

Then if there's no improvement and your still suspecting a bad camshaft, pull the valve covers and try adjusting the valves if there's one valve that needs excessive adjustment its either the lifter collapsed (common problem) or a worn lobe on the cam.

Oh... have you checked the condition of the timing chain yet?

By adjusting vavles, do you mean just try to tighten them? I have never done a valve adjustment, but I have seen in videos how they adjust vavles on engine rebuilds.

I have not inspected the timing chain yet because I figured if my timing was right on the chain should be good and solid? Can i make that assumption?

Last edited:

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
Why not check the tappet lift before tearing apart the top end? Unbolt a rocker arm, and measure the travel of the pushrod as you turn the motor over by hand (or power if you like). Across a standard 1.5 rocker the tappet lift should be a quarter inch or so. Dial indicators are preferred, but a fine ruler and a good eye may be good enough to tell if its really dickered.
Is there a way to test the ICM? Would my timing be off if my ICM was bad because my timing was right on with the gun

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the one-wire connector hidden behind the firewall panel disconnected? If not, you did this wrong, and is likely the source of your troubles
^^^What he said. Here's a picture of where the EST wire connector is on an 88, you may have to remove the plastic cover over the LIVE Terminal connectors. It is usually tucked up inside the wire loom, unless someone has already done this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
I'll give it go. I am quite certain I never disconnected the EST when testing time. Didn't know I had to dang it. Thanks for all the advice.

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
Why not check the tappet lift before tearing apart the top end? Unbolt a rocker arm, and measure the travel of the pushrod as you turn the motor over by hand (or power if you like). Across a standard 1.5 rocker the tappet lift should be a quarter inch or so. Dial indicators are preferred, but a fine ruler and a good eye may be good enough to tell if its really dickered.
Does the engine need to be top dead center when testing the lift?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the engine need to be top dead center when testing the lift?

No all you need to do is take a magnetic dial indicator, set it on top of the push rods and watch the travel of them while rotating the engine, you'll find the lowest travel and then the highest, subtract the difference. If one or more are lower than the others, you have a worn out cam.

Last edited: