camaro temp sender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Tahoe4x4

Reaction score
I had read around several forums about the issue with the three wire sensor and a low reading temp gauge. Some said using the long adapter to use the original sender had low readings as well. So, I bought a new original sensor for a 97 Tahoe and put the end that goes into the head in a drill. Then I got a flat file and filed it down while using the drill to spin the sending unit like a lathe. I used a tap and die set from Harbor Freight to make the correct threads (12mm x 1.50, if I remember correctly). It wasn't too bad since the threaded part is made of brass. Just make sure you use some sort of oil while filing and clean the file often. It actually took longer to put on the threads since I don't have a vice. Just coil up the pigtail and put a tie on it to keep it out of the way while it spins freely. An actual lathe would probably be easier, but no automotive machine shops near me had one. I didn't try industrial shops, though.

I'm using the original LQ9 sender in the original driver's side head location to provide the PCM temp signal. The 97 Tahoe sender is in the passenger side head and only provides signal to the gauge.

1BadBowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly I am still working on getting my truck finished. I haven't started it up yet to even see if it works. Sorry.

Nick Wheeler

Reaction score
i havent gotten around to working in this again yet, but ill probably end up putting the correct sender for the gauge in the passenger head

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Not the same kind of engine swap, but I used a 3 wire for my Cad and it works perfectly. Pulled a couple from 3100s in the junkyard.