camaro temp sender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick Wheeler

Reaction score
anyone else use the 3 wire camaro temp sender on their swap? i decided to go this route and my stock temp gauge reads about 30-40 degrees off (cooler) than my scan tool... any idea what needs to be done other than running a sender from the tbi motor in the other head to run the gauge? dont really wana hack up my harness or add anymore wiring.

resistance goes down as the temp goes up so i dont see adding a resistor working out, or am i thinking of that wrong?

pics for attention lol

You must be registered for see images attach

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your talking about Coolant temp?
What year camaro uses the 3 wire? Im only aware of the 2 wire. Unless they had a 3 wire, one going to Dash, the other going to PCM?

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 98 camaro used 3 wire.
Im using one in my truck to, same issue. Just learned to deal with it lol. Leme know if you find a solution

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off, nice job on the swap looks good.

Use the stock sensor for 1996-98 L31 5.7L Vortec truck ( GM 15326386), it's compatible with the 0411 pcm as well as the temp gauge.

Here's metric to standard adapters for the sending units.

Speedway Motors
Water Temp sender adapter 182-2277
Oil Press sender adapter 182-2268

Last edited:

Nick Wheeler

Reaction score
thanks! ive still got a few bugs to work out and clean up to do (mostly wiring)

so, using the vortec sensor the output would go to the pcm and "t" to the gauge since its only a 2 wire? wouldnt the reading be skewed by the resistance from the guage? ive already got a temp new sender for the 95 tbi that was originally in my truck, and metric adapter to put in the passenger head if i need to. i just dont want to pull apart my harness to move one wire, or try and hide it lol

im thinking with the camaro sensor/sender, a resistor can be added to the + side of the gauge (limiting voltage to the guage itself) and since the sensor is reading resistance to ground, it "should" be lower (make guage read "hotter") with the input power limited. im pulling my cluster this weekend to fix my fuel level guage and add led's so, while i have it apart ill do some testing and report back.

1BadBowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Swap Looks good man. I did the 3 wire sensor and connector. Saves me from running extra sensors and dealing with the diagnoses bs that would go with any issues with cooling.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks! ive still got a few bugs to work out and clean up to do (mostly wiring)

so, using the vortec sensor the output would go to the pcm and "t" to the gauge since its only a 2 wire? wouldnt the reading be skewed by the resistance from the guage? ive already got a temp new sender for the 95 tbi that was originally in my truck, and metric adapter to put in the passenger head if i need to. i just dont want to pull apart my harness to move one wire, or try and hide it lol

im thinking with the camaro sensor/sender, a resistor can be added to the + side of the gauge (limiting voltage to the guage itself) and since the sensor is reading resistance to ground, it "should" be lower (make guage read "hotter") with the input power limited. im pulling my cluster this weekend to fix my fuel level guage and add led's so, while i have it apart ill do some testing and report back.

I'm not sure if you could t into the sensor like that, my 98 and 97 both had 2 of them. I always assumed it was the same as a tbi/diesel, where the one on the head was for the gauge and the on on the intake manifold was for the computer.

Nick Wheeler

Reaction score
thats what i figured too. think the other guy was suggesting using 2 of them, of for the pcm and one for the gauge, since the sensor is compatible with either

Nick Wheeler

Reaction score
Swap Looks good man. I did the 3 wire sensor and connector. Saves me from running extra sensors and dealing with the diagnoses bs that would go with any issues with cooling.

thanks!

does your gauge read correctly though? thats the topic of the discussion

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
I used them 98 Camaro sensor as well! This is where it reads at operating temp.
I've learned to live with it. I don't let other people drive my truck, so I'm not to worried about it.