cam swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dustin moore

Reaction score
I have a 1990 chevy and i just swapped out the 5 speed to a tci 700r4 with a 3000 tci stall and tci fast gate shifter and im wanting to go with the ***** thumper 12-601-4 cam but would like to keep my tbi setup and i was wanting to know if that is possible

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
For reference, the LT1 that made 300hp came stock with a dual 48mm throttle body.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Why not choose a real cam instead of one that has terrible vacuum down low just to make it sound rough and terrible top end to keep it somewhat street-able? Just go one or the other.... a torquey street cam or a high rpm racing cam.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Why not choose a real cam instead of one that has terrible vacuum down low just to make it sound rough and terrible top end to keep it somewhat street-able? Just go one or the other.... a torquey street cam or a high rpm racing cam.

Wow, I just googled the cam. Waaaayy too much. Not just for the TBI, but the heads too. That won't match anything.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, its a car show cam for putting around fairgrounds to make an otherwise stock engine sound like a dragster at low rpm.

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, its a car show cam for putting around fairgrounds to make an otherwise stock engine sound like a dragster at low rpm.

yep. its junk. but i dont support using any cam that doesnt come with a spec card. I.E. where does the intake close? but, with 3000 stall, it really doent matter. lol

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree.. Stay away from those types of cams. They are nothing but a waste.
Dealt with them in LS engines for awhile. Every time we just replaced them with a useable cam.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I have a 1990 chevy and i just swapped out the 5 speed to a tci 700r4 with a 3000 tci stall and tci fast gate shifter and im wanting to go with the ***** thumper 12-601-4 cam but would like to keep my tbi setup and i was wanting to know if that is possible

So you have all of these go fast drivetrain parts and want to stab in a cam that will turn your truck into an absolute turd. OK. The stock TBI will probably go nicely with all of that.

Because racetruck, right?