Cam retard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
We have 2 rules at my house:
Be Kind and Help when you can.

Everything takes care of itself after that.

Don't forget to call a spade a spade. Nobody likes bad news, but sometimes stuff sucks and there's no way around that. It can come off as being a dick, but facts are facts and facts don't care about feelings.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Try the early for escapes. Especially the 4wd ones. Gotta take front axle out n i think subframe loose. Needless tk say i farmed that job out to someone more advanced.... And less lazy.
Got it done but man was it a PITA.Several cuts,blood here and there..I left a little blood smudge on a white decal on the core support,told her it was my sig. she laughed.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Had a guy with a replacement distributor that had to remove the gear and rotate it 180 degrees to get it right. I learned something new this week!

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im in a similar boat. When u mention torwue scan is that the phone app? If so how did u set up the pid? I havent been able to find any info on it.

Yeah, I got it on Android phone . I used this info to setup te pid.

Torque Pro app - $5 (link)
and the custom PID below.

Torque - go to Settings:
Manage extra PIDs/Sensors
Add custom PID
  • OBD2 Mode and PID: 221301
  • Long Name: Cam Position Retard Offset
  • Short name: CMPRET
  • Minimum value: -100
  • Maximum value: 100
  • Scale factor: x1
  • Unit type: degrees
  • Equation: ((Signed(A)*256)+B)*0.024
  • OBD header to use: 6C10F1
  • Diagnostic start command: <blank>
  • Diagnostic stop command: <blank>
  • Overrides PID: Does not override any PID

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Yeah, I got it on Android phone . I used this info to setup te pid.

Torque Pro app - $5 (link)
and the custom PID below.

Torque - go to Settings:
Manage extra PIDs/Sensors
Add custom PID
  • OBD2 Mode and PID: 221301
  • Long Name: Cam Position Retard Offset
  • Short name: CMPRET
  • Minimum value: -100
  • Maximum value: 100
  • Scale factor: x1
  • Unit type: degrees
  • Equation: ((Signed(A)*256)+B)*0.024
  • OBD header to use: 6C10F1
  • Diagnostic start command: <blank>
  • Diagnostic stop command: <blank>
  • Overrides PID: Does not override any PID

Thanks. Ill go back thru my set up n see if i messed anything up.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Humm all my vortec engines the hold down only allow maybe 6 or 8° adjustment until I "fix" them even then it dont go alot more

james28909

Reaction score
One tooth did the trick. Got the CMP reading at 0.6 and engine light went off.

Thanks again everyone
sorry for digging this thread up lol, atleast it isnt from 2007 right? xD

anyways, you said you were +6 ( 5.8 to be exact) out right?
did you turn the distributor shaft/rotor counter clockwise to retard it more?

i am at +6 and i have turned the distributor clockwise as far as it will go, so i need to go to the next tooth. i am +6 out so i guess i also need to rotate the distributor shaft counter clockwise 1 tooth?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The next tooth is waaayyy more than 6 degrees. If you can't get it that way you need a new distributor gear.

james28909

Reaction score
The next tooth is waaayyy more than 6 degrees. If you can't get it that way you need a new distributor gear.
it is a newer distributor. ive had it out and check proper gear orientation (its not on 180 degrees out) and the gears all look great.

i have the distibutor turned all the way clockwise as it will go, it is hitting the upper intake manifold. if i take the distributor out and rotate the distributor shaft counter clockwise one tooth and move the distributor housing the same amount, then that will put me in the negative cam retard correct? then i can adjust the distributor with the bolt slightly loosened and set it to spec?

i had it within 2 degrees, but i noticed a leak from the heater hose fitting on the intake, well i tried to fix it but ended up snapping that fitting off flush with the block. i removed the intake to install a spare one i had, which means i had to remove the distributor as well. i got the new intake and everything installed but i think i am off one tooth, but i am just not sure which direction to turn the distributor shaft itself.

without worrying about anything else i said, just ponder this and give me your feedback.

if i rotate the distributor shaft counter clockwise, will that retard the cam retard. if you turn it clockwise, it will advance the cam retard, correct.

i think that since it is crammed up against the upper intake manifold, and still reads +6... if i move it (the distributor shaft itself) counter clockwise one tooth then that will retard it, and the distributor wont be up against the upper intake manifold anymore, thus giving me room to move distributor housing and set to spec. as it stands right now i cannot move it clockwise anymore, so that means the distributor shaft needs to turn counter clockwise one tooth, then i can adjust the housing to set the factory spec.

does that sound right?

ps i have a bt obd2 scanner and car gauge pros and use the cmp retard pid