Cam info please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So originally after installing a 502HO in my 90SS 454 truck I was going to do a procharger but the cost will be prohibitive.. So now Im faced with wanting a little more out of my creation and thought a cam upgrade might do the trick. Thinking along those lines and still maintaining streeability Im asking you guys what cam and susequent item you would recommend for the GM 502HO motor, cam, pushrods, lifters, ect??
Thanks
Bobby V

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't the 502 HO, ( high output) already setup for performance yet being street able? Would there be a downside on just cruise speeds and idle with something more radical?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Bobby, long time no see! Why don't you give your favorite cam company a call and ask them, they'll come up with a recipe :waytogo:

Just can't get enough huh? :biggrin:

Last edited:

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Pete, whats up? tranny is holding fine, it was worked over before I got the truck, with Corvette stuff so they say?? I wish they had changed the planatary unit to a close ration Sonnax unit but they didnt so 2nd gear is still a reach, really hurts performance IMHO but what ever.
A friend thought a cam change would wake up the performance end of things, but Im not sure it wloud so Im asking ???
originally I was thinking proCharger but $$$$ would be pretty steep so Im considering other options. Who knows what Ill do what with the ******* cost of fuel nowadays, danm liberals. So Ill ask you about a hi performance cam, worth it???
Later
Bobby
PS I did the dash since we talked with DD stuff, those gauges in the 90 sucked, kept them for the purist if I sell it though, what does yout 88 have for gauges???
You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS I did the dash since we talked with DD stuff, those gauges in the 90 sucked, kept them for the purist if I sell it though, what does yout 88 have for gauges???
I have the Dakota Digital dash. Had it for over 10 years now. It's not for everyone but I like it. It has 0-60, 1/4 mile times and trap speed, highest RPM readouts as well as 2 trip odometers. It was cheaper than a rebuilt Moonie gauge cluster, not anymore, ha ha.

You must be registered for see images attach

I can't help you with your cam question, sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in? Keep cool man and, maybe someday we can get together...

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont drive long distances anymore since Im older than dirt lol.
Yeah, IIRC you're even older than me :rolleyes: The exit to my house off I-10 is mile post 103 so, it is a little excursion to/from Lake Havasu City, oh well.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to go to Arizona check out the London Bridge and see how Lake Havasu turned out. I remember watching the bridge being numbered in pieces and shipped.

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run a Howard's Cam in my 496. It's similar to the 502 with a different bore and stroke combo but it should behave similar if used in a 502.
It's Howard's part number 120265-12, a hydraulic roller (same as the 502) style.
I'd recommend a good set of headers and dual exhaust with about a 2500 stall converter.
My truck idles at 700-750 in gear with the AC on. It's got a noticeable lope and excellent power band. This is just my experience with my combination.
All the major camshaft manufacturers will have a similar grind that will perform nearly the same. As stated above, it might benefit you to call the cam companies directly and tell them what you want to do.