California smog tune ban!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cali thinks tuning vehicles is bad .
Smog techs will now check for tuning software wth it has to be OEM or "carb" approved. What's everyone's thoughts?
I was going to get a black bear tune now I'm hesitant.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm curious how they would verify that on most vehicles. Not advocating that anyone break their local laws of course, but in applications where the stock PCM is simply reprogrammed (like a Black Bear tune) everything would appear 100% factory to the best of my knowledge. A stand alone PCM like a Holley Terminator X for example would surely raise some red flags, but I doubt they're checking the tune on every stock PCM.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My thoughts, move out of commieforya! lol

I'm not sure they could dig into odb1 or early odb2, but late model stuff maybe be a different story.

A program that compare's parameters to the oem tune? Might not be really all that difficult.

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The obvious answer for our trucks is two PCM's. Stock for smog, tuned for the rest of the time.
On my Mercedes I have the stock tune saved on my laptop. It would just be a matter of changing back to a stock blower pulley and loading it, then swapping back after.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IDK why they care as long as it passes the exhaust sniffer test...
About 42 years ago, I went to state inspection school here in Louisiana. I know that we are not near as strict as Cali is, and again, 42 years ago, things were a lot more laxed than they are today, but even way back then, the law said, if there are repairs to a vehicle that then need to be to OE spec. If not, then the vehicle is to be rejected from state inspection. It is to have a big red rejection sticker put on the windshield where the inspection sticker would normally go. This sticker allows the owner up to 1 month for repairs. At that point, the vehicle has to go back to the same place that issued the rejection sticker for reinspection. Replacement parts must be as the vehicle was when it left the mfg plant. So for example, tire size needs to be of the same basic size to fit the vehicle. The brand of parts were not what is important. What is important, is that replacement parts are of the same as that originally intended for that vehicle. Tires can not extend past the fenders. A truck can not be lifted so that the headlights are above the mfg height for that vehicle. So they could not be higher than the normal 4x4 headlight height. That is just a few examples of what we were told. At that time exhaust could be sniffed for emissions, with an exhaust probe, but that was not necessary in our area. No one here followed that, as strict as we were told to then and still don't today, but the laws are there. Today emissions testing is only required for the Baton Rouge area. There they require a scanner test of the ECM. And again, we are talking about Louisiana, not California.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Ontario was very strict. but we realized that thanks to California vehicle manufacturers are producing clean vehicles now. there is no personal vehicle emmisions any longer. only commercial vehicles.

So this is what the sun looks like due to smog... I took this pic yesterday... it's from forest fires... Ive NEVER seen the sky look like this... So thanks California! but come on... mission accomplished!

You must be registered for see images attach