C3500HD pic thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think it's the relay too that's starting to fail, it's actually not too hard to get to. You just have to remove the lower dash panel.

@2:25
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's the diode module for lowering the voltage to the headlights. They do go bad, and from what I understand (not personal experience but someone I trust) you don't want to replace it while the battery is connected; he toasted one that way.

Also, didn't watch the video but title/preview seems to imply he's disconnecting the diode to disable the DRL's. Totally not necessary; you can pull the fuse in the dash side fuse panel to disable 'em.

99% sure either 1995-up or 1996-up the trucks came DRL-equipped regardless. Just that most of 'em have quit working by now. ;)

Richard

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
That's the diode module for lowering the voltage to the headlights. They do go bad, and from what I understand (not personal experience but someone I trust) you don't want to replace it while the battery is connected; he toasted one that way.

Also, didn't watch the video but title/preview seems to imply he's disconnecting the diode to disable the DRL's. Totally not necessary; you can pull the fuse in the dash side fuse panel to disable 'em.

99% sure either 1995-up or 1996-up the trucks came DRL-equipped regardless. Just that most of 'em have quit working by now. ;)

Richard
I’ve always just pulled the fuse...funny thing though, they never worked on my 99, even after replacing the module....then I forgot about them, until I installed HIDs, then they magically started working.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I’ve always just pulled the fuse...funny thing though, they never worked on my 99, even after replacing the module....then I forgot about them, until I installed HIDs, then they magically started working.
I replaced that box on the first 99 Burb we had. Had to about stand on my head under the dashboard to get to it. Redrilled the hole in a better place to reinstall the new one. Apparently GM built the truck around this part. Haven't had time or inclination to go through that again as I'm less flexible than I used to be....

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Ahhh I see, didn't know it was the diode, I always thought it was the relay for them.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Sorry can someone explain what in the f*ck this thing is. Gotta be custom right? very clearly an HD but this config was never a thing?? love the look though. Almost like a factory lift option lol
Looks custom to me, never seen a short wheelbase 3500HD before.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's all the way custom. GM never made a pickup bed 3500HD (GMT400) - cab & chassis only. The shortest available wheelbase is also 4" longer than a normal longbed pickup wheelbase, so you don't just put a pickup bed on one and roll.. you'd have a noticeable gap. Plus, the frame is different, so bed needs adapting anyway. Etc.

Richard