C3500 diesel to LQ4 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MB Truck

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
This forum has helped me a bunch for my swap. I’m about 90% done, except for a few gauges and wire cleanup.

I am stuck on my fuel gauge, the truck is a 1994 and had a 6.5 diesel. I removed the entire fuel system and stared fresh. I used a tank spec for a 1998 454 so that I could use a factory fuel pump set up.

My question is, could the fuel sender for a 1998 use a different resistance than the 1994 gauge? My gauge is pegged was past full.
You must be registered for see images attach

Pappawolff11

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert but I believe earlier models had a sender where 0 ohms is empty, 88 ohms is full. I know that a 2000 dually my dad had one was equipped with a sender where the ohms read 40-240. Take this with a grain of salt but it seems that there is a chance they are different.

I would also be interested in some of the details on your engine swap as I am looking to do the exact same thing. I have a 6.5 with a nv4500.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the 98 tank sender talked to the PCM. Send your fuel gauge signal to the LS PCM and let it control the gauge. Your other option is to revert to a 96-early 97 tank, sender, lines. I recently converted a 98 6.5 truck to 454 and went with a 96-97 tank/sender/lines as it was plug and play.