C2500 Farmtruck???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Browne

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum. I bought a '95 C2500 about a year ago now, and I would like to start playing around with it now that I have had it for a while. I have the idea of basing my build loosely on Street Outlaws Farmtruck, as a sleeper build. The trucks body has some rust, but the chassis and frame are solid and the truck mechanically has been well maintained.I am going to keep the stock wheels up front, and try to find a set of wider wheels for out back. The truck has the 8x6.5 bolt pattern.

I am curious, how wide of a wheel can I have out back with the stock drum brakes?

My next step after sorting the wheel and tire situation is probably going to be a gear swap in the rear end. I'm not sure of the gear ratio I have but I know the truck has an open differential.

Can anyone recommend a good rear end setup?

After the rear is taken care of, then comes the task of increasing the power. The truck is all original and has the 5.7l tbi from the factory with 175,000 miles on it right now, and I believe the transmission is the 4l80e? It hasn't been swapped on the truck as far as I know.

I bought the truck from a co-worker and good friend at work. He has owned the truck for 6 years if I remember correctly, and his father bought the truck new. The truck is my daily now, but come winter time, I may pick up something different. I know the purpose of the truck determines what I should do to it, so I figured I would state what I am currently using it for. If I get to the point where I modify it and don't want to daily it, I will buy something else to drive everyday. I am looking to make power with this truck and have fun with it. As far as my horsepower goal, I am unsure yet, but would like to start around 350-400 hp.

Any advice on this fun project would be appreciated guys, thank you!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum. I bought a '95 C2500 about a year ago now, and I would like to start playing around with it now that I have had it for a while. I have the idea of basing my build loosely on Street Outlaws Farmtruck, as a sleeper build. The trucks body has some rust, but the chassis and frame are solid and the truck mechanically has been well maintained.I am going to keep the stock wheels up front, and try to find a set of wider wheels for out back. The truck has the 8x6.5 bolt pattern.

I am curious, how wide of a wheel can I have out back with the stock drum brakes?

My next step after sorting the wheel and tire situation is probably going to be a gear swap in the rear end. I'm not sure of the gear ratio I have but I know the truck has an open differential.

Can anyone recommend a good rear end setup?

After the rear is taken care of, then comes the task of increasing the power. The truck is all original and has the 5.7l tbi from the factory with 175,000 miles on it right now, and I believe the transmission is the 4l80e? It hasn't been swapped on the truck as far as I know.

I bought the truck from a co-worker and good friend at work. He has owned the truck for 6 years if I remember correctly, and his father bought the truck new. The truck is my daily now, but come winter time, I may pick up something different. I know the purpose of the truck determines what I should do to it, so I figured I would state what I am currently using it for. If I get to the point where I modify it and don't want to daily it, I will buy something else to drive everyday. I am looking to make power with this truck and have fun with it. As far as my horsepower goal, I am unsure yet, but would like to start around 350-400 hp.

Any advice on this fun project would be appreciated guys, thank you!

Look at the glovebox for RPO code for axle ratio. I'm guessing 3.73s?

GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10

You should have the 9.5" ring gear 14 bolt semi-float axle. Pretty strong axle. How big tires are you planning on running? Probably swap to 4.56s? With a Detroit TruTrac or something like that?

Yes, 4L80e.

I'm not familiar with the TBIs, but I'm sure someone can point you on the right direction as far as power increase.

Jack Browne

Reaction score
I'm unsure what tire size I should run. I'd like maybe a 10" wide rim out back?

As far as the engine goes, I'm pretty sure an engine swap would be the way I'd want to go. There is just the question of big block vs. small block, what would bolt up to my 4l80e? From what I understand a small block would be a good way to go because of weight savings. Crate engine or rebuild? I'd like to still drive the truck while building the engine so a donor engine rebuild maybe? If so what is good to start with?

There is also the question of carb vs efi. But from what I've read a carb setup is easier in the 88-95 trucks over the 96-98 trucks. Something about everything running less on the computer or electrical system?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any SBC or BBC (or LS) or Diesel will bolt to the tranny...basically anything, LOL. That's not a problem.

How much power are trying to make? And what's your budget?

Jack Browne

Reaction score
The wheels for the rear i am looking at are 16x10 with 5 inch backspacing. Do you guys know if they will fit?

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran a 10 inch wheel and 33s on the rear before

as for gears I had 4:56 gears and a Auburn LS.
I would stick to a LS over a true rear locker if you’re driving on the street.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want it to be a sleeper, the only way to go is with a big-block. Set your wallet on fire for a set of good heads. I don't know what the best-flowing stock-ish looking intake is, but get it. Keep the factory valve covers, even if you have to fab a spacer to cover the rockers. Paint your engine black. Use the factory air cleaner and keep everything looking factory under the hood. Everybody has headers, so don't worry about them looking racey. Go with the biggest primaries you can get, and paint them black - don't ceramic coat because they'll stay shiny. If they're dirty black and rusty they won't attract attention and you opponents might not notice how big they are.

Ditch every bit of weight you can. Consider swapping to a half-ton frame. I've never seen pictures under Farmtruck, but I'll bet it's at least back-halved.