C Notch Brackets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought someones's un-used DJM C notch brackets off ebay cause my parts truck came with a Belltech flip kit but no notches. Also Belltech rear lowering shocks and front stuff, it was a $800 kit I was told.

Brackets don't come with bolts or snubbers and far as I can tell the cheap ebay notch brackets use grade 2 or grade 5 bolts. I could weld them on but I may part the truck out or xfer all parts to a more solid truck someday.

Far as I can tell 1/2" bolts that are 1-1/4 long, nylock nuts and over 1" washers are needed. the amount of Grade 8 stuff I'd need isn't much more than grade 5 on McMasterCarr

Also think I'll cut some metal strips to connect the inside holes in pairs and maybe well a top strip of metal like the nicer C notch brackets have.

Anyone on here have those cheap ebay ones, what grade & size bolts did they come with?

nineno

Reaction score
I have a spare set of DJM C-notches, complete with nuts/bolts/washers and thin bumpers. (https://djmsuspension.com/product/fk1025-6/)

The bolts are black oxide, 1/2"-13 x 1.75" long. The nuts are Nylocks. The washers are run of the mill zinc plated stuff. The bumpers are only about 5/8" thick.

For comparison, the McGaughy's C-notches (http://mcgaughys.com/products/c-notch-33140) are shipped with Grade 8, yellow chromate plated, 1/2"-13 x 1.25" long. Nuts are upset thread lock nuts. Washers are standard fare. The bumpers are much thicker (2-1/2").

Since I've started comparing the two, I guess I'll add the following: The plate steel used to make the DJM C-notches is twice the thickness of the sheet metal used to make the McGaughy's. However, the McGaughy's wrap around the frame on top and bottom, and they extend further fore and aft than the DJMs. The part of the McGaughy's C-notch that wraps around the bottom of the frame section also bolts to the frame in front and behind the notch. (The McGaughy's come with a total of 20 sets of fasteners; 10 per side. The DJM's come with 16 sets of fasteners; 8 per side.)

Hope that helps.
- Drew

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a spare set of DJM C-notches, complete with nuts/bolts/washers and thin bumpers. (https://djmsuspension.com/product/fk1025-6/)

The bolts are black oxide, 1/2"-13 x 1.75" long. The nuts are Nylocks. The washers are run of the mill zinc plated stuff. The bumpers are only about 5/8" thick.

For comparison, the McGaughy's C-notches (http://mcgaughys.com/products/c-notch-33140) are shipped with Grade 8, yellow chromate plated, 1/2"-13 x 1.25" long. Nuts are upset thread lock nuts. Washers are standard fare. The bumpers are much thicker (2-1/2").

Since I've started comparing the two, I guess I'll add the following: The plate steel used to make the DJM C-notches is twice the thickness of the sheet metal used to make the McGaughy's. However, the McGaughy's wrap around the frame on top and bottom, and they extend further fore and aft than the DJMs. The part of the McGaughy's C-notch that wraps around the bottom of the frame section also bolts to the frame in front and behind the notch. (The McGaughy's come with a total of 20 sets of fasteners; 10 per side. The DJM's come with 16 sets of fasteners; 8 per side.)

Hope that helps.
- Drew

Thanks, that's GREAT info! I actually was curious about the thickness difference between the two styles of brackets. Like you said these DJM are thick, 3/8" so the others would prob be 3/16".

Far as the bolt length difference, I'll prob go 1.5" since I plan to maybe use 1/8" steel on the other side for some extra. Oddly 1/2-20 are cheaper than 1/2-13 bolts on McMasterCarr.

Did the black oxide bolts have any marking on the heads to indicate their strength?

nineno

Reaction score
Oh, sorry, that would have been good information to include. The black oxide bolts provided with the DJM notches are grade 5.