Bushing Size Differences/Similarities between TH400, 4L60E, 4L80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, for those who have experience replacing the transmission bushings in the TH400, 4L60E, and 4L80E, do they share the same size bushings? What can you tell me about the differences and similarities?

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What bushings are you talking about? There's like a dozen of them.

The rear case bushing and the tail shaft bushings I'm pretty sure are the same between the TH400/early 4L80e. At some point that case bushing changed though. Don't recall the year. Maybe 2001?

I don't recall any bushings being the same between these and the 4L60e...

Are you rebuilding your unit? For the case bushing you can use the Sonnax No-walk case bushing, or rollerize it (using TH350 front roller bearing and shims.) Get yourself an ATSG manual...

What you want is order parts for YOUR unit, not a different transmission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the 2000 Unit Repair Manual (both volumes) and the ATSG manual for the 4L80E. Problem is, neither of them list any tools for installing or removing any of the bushings on the 4L80E. The Unit Repair Manual does list [Kent-Moore] tools for installing and removing bushings on the 4L60E, so I was wondering if perhaps they share the same bushings. And, I am also asking about the TH400 because I do believe I have come across tools for installing and removing TH400 bushings, and I read the TH400 is a predecessor in ways of the 4L80E.

I know people improvise often when installing and removing bushings, but I prefer the special tools when they are available.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see. I think a master bushing install kit and a shop press would take are of all bushings.

When I rebuilt my 95 4L80e I rented a seal/bushing install kit from the local parts store. Although I had to replace only the front pump bushing, case bushing and tail shaft. Those are all must to replace. The others were fine.

What year is the transmission you are rebuilding? Page 108 of the ATSG goes into detail on the sun gear shaft revisions. Make sure your overhaul kit matches the corresponding bushings here.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year is the transmission you are rebuilding? Page 108 of the ATSG goes into detail on the sun gear shaft revisions. Make sure your overhaul kit matches the corresponding bushings here.
If all goes well, should have a 99 K2500 in the next week or so. In the process of buying it now. Will be rebuilding its 4L80E myself eventually and dropping in an L31 HD. Basically want a new powertrain as I do not know the history of the current, and I plan to keep the vehicle for a long time. I do not like reman units, so I'd rather rebuild the transmission myself (I also enjoy it).

Have most of the KM tools as well as a Dake F10 press. Was just hoping to make the bushing replacement go smoothly.

Yes, good info on the sun gear shaft revision. I noticed in comparing the ATSG to the URM that the ATSG does have some extra tidbits that the URM lacks.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice!

I used these videos and master rebuild kit from this gentleman, along with the ATSG manual. I really enjoyed the process. I haven't ran mine though, so that may change, LOL.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I showed a bit of the process on my 99 NBS 5.3/4L80e swap build on the LsX swap subforum.

I also watched a few other videos on YouTube. A guy called Bravo21 or something like that and another by a builder called Hiram Gutierrez. Both excellent supplements! Precision Transmission is also ok, but they don't show build videos, so not as useful.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did the Sonnax no-walk case bushing on my rebuild. https://www.sonnax.com/parts/1981-case-bushing. I didn't rollerize it though. I couldn't find any conclusive information that you can do both at the beginning of my rebuild. After I had installed the bushing I saw that the case bushing gets installed thought the rear, instead of through the inside, along with the TH350 roller bearing in lieu of the original thrust washer. The OD of the TH350 roller bearing is larger than the ID of the case bushing, so can't install both from inside the case.

I now see a Sonnax kit that actually has both bushing and roller bearing: https://www.sonnax.com/parts/4686-heavy-duty-case-bushing-kit
This bearing must be a different one, because the bushing is still installed through the inside of the case. The instructions are really nice, and they give you output shaft endplay specs and shims.

And that copper-looking thrust washer can take the place of another plastic washer. Basically, they are the same thickness, so you reuse a copper washer for a plastic washer. You'll see that on the videos.

In all honestly, unless you are doing something like 500-600 HP, the OEM thrust washer/bushing is probably just fine.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd ask OTS what tools they recommend. They also sell all the rebuild parts you need cheaper than you'll find them elsewhere. I got the bushings for my 700R4 from them after I realized my rebuild kit didn't have nearly half the parts I needed for a true rebuild. https://otsparts.com/

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eBay has multiple sellers of bushing-driver kits specialized for TH700/4L60; but the kit does not list the TH400 or 4L80E. Therefore, I expect that almost no bushings interchange.

Example:
www.ebay.com/itm/392993578190?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649