Burnout?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyGuy4000

Reaction score
So I got a question hoping u experts can answer. I’ve seen a lot of these stock trucks do burnouts, but for some reason when I go to do one in mine it won’t rev up past 1 grand, not sure if it’s an issue with the brakes or something else, any of you guys know why?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your tires, there size, your rear end gear ratio, how your engine is running, all play a roll in a burn out. There is no need to hold down the brakes before you start. Without all of this info, there is no way to answer your question. I will say this though. My 97, with some performance mods, OE size tires and 342 gears would light up that one rear tire. It was so much of an issue, it made the truck hard to drive in the rain. I have added 200 LBS of steel bars around my receiver hitch, about 3 years ago, and went to a 275/60/15 tire on the OE rims just before Christmas last year. Its is much better now, but I still have no issues spinning a tire. Also my performance mods, are all above the intake. I have not been any deeper in the engine than the intake. Here is a pic, of a burn out I did leaving work for lunch one day, just before I put the 60s on the truck just before Christmas.
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
We need more info on your truck OP. The stock tune on a Vortec is ******* garbage. The most I managed out of mine stock was a tiny momentary chirp from the right rear on worn out tires. After a tune it would nuke that same POS right rear tire.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Like most have said, we need more info on your truck. I agree with @kennythewelder, depends on the gear ratio, size of tires, etc. My 98 can do a burnout easily, but its got 4:10s, 265/75r16s and no G80, though my 97 can't do a burnout, with 265s it can, but not with the 285s and G80.

When you are doing a burnout, with the auto tranny, you press the brake in, then press on the gas, and then slowly start to release the brake pedal. That's how I usually do it with my 98 and does a pretty smoky burnout. Did it on the last day of senior year, most of the kids I hung out with said it wouldn't/couldn't happen... I proved them wrong lmao.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
My '89 will do a burnout no problem, (350, five speed, one wheel peel 3.73's) sometime even in third if I'm going around a corner & the roads are slick. Sounds like you've got a slushbox behind your engine..

My Firebird has a slushbox too, even worse it's got a 305. When it had drum brakes I could do a brake stand (one wheel peel 2.73's) but with the disc brakes its got back there now, (posi 3.23's) if I hold the brakes too hard it will just rev up and sound like it's trying to take **** but while constipated... Just enough brake to lock the front wheels is sufficient for that thing. 98chevy2500SS nailed the burnout process with an auto.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 4.10s, 2300RPM stall TC, stock 235/75R-15s. I have to feed the gas to it off the line to keep from smoking the one tire, LOL. I just checked my speedometer against a radar sign, all of a sudden I'm off 1 MPH - probably from burning that tire too much, ha ha. Next time I'm gonna go with a fatter tire. What's the biggest tire I can get by with on these stock rims?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both of my G80 equipped '97s would light up both tires with no brake pedal persuasion no problem, until I 4L80E swapped the V6 truck. :lol: Now it doesn't quite have the required oomph. The Suburban will still roast them, though.