Bumper Interchangeability???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

About two weeks ago Ashley and I acquired a replacement truck for her '92 F150- a '92 C1500, regular cab long box, 350 with a five speed. It had a smashed front bumper so I went to a yard and got the best one I could find to replace it. Donor vehicle was a 1996(?) Suburban I think. Bumpers looked identical so I didn't think there would be an issue but it turns out the brackets which slide into the frame horns are slightly longer. So I went to reuse the ones from her truck (had to buy a driver's side bracket as it was mangled) and the bumper still wants to stick out about 1/2 or full inch longer than it should. What gives here? Are the bumpers themselves slightly different between Suburbans & trucks? I can't tell visually and this is the first time I've tried swapped a bumper on a GMT400. What about rear bumpers? Can I use one from an SUV or should it be from a truck?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply EppNation!

Trim is there! I don't know what's going on, I should check my service manual how to adjust the bumper but they usually don't provide tips & tricks. There's like no adjustment either, just strange. Is there something I'm missing? I feel like the only solution is to go and get another bumper from a truck, not SUV.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
One thing I did read is that, the two inner bumper brackets are slightly different. On the 94-up, the bumper sticks out a tiny bit more than the 88-93's did, to accomodate for the new grille trim piece that goes between the grille and bumper. Bumpers are the same, shouldn't matter if it's an SUV or truck.

Some good info here (in the beginning, he talks about the difference between the 88-93 and 94-98 brackets and gap issues):

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

With the rear bumper, they are the same, but the brackets are different, so you will need to re-use your old ones.

Hope this answers some of your questions. :)

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, that does clear up some of the mystery. Thank you! Confirms that the inner brackets are different. I think in the future I'll just pull the bumpers and brackets together, it's a PITA to try and align that stuff on the ground and such, mostly since there isn't any (or much) room for adjustment. I have to admit, I swapped a bumper on Ashley's old '92 F150 and was done in maybe 45 minutes. It's like four bolts for those and the bracket floats until tightened down so adjustment is super easy. Yet with this, I've got over four hours of dickering with it and it still isn't right. I figure there's just something wrong with my approach.

At work so can't watch the video right now though.

Frank Compagnon

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a difference in the early and late bumper brackets but the bumpers are the same, if you don't use the filler strip, it doesn't really matter which one you use. I place the bumper on the brackets, install the two center bolts, and check the left to right distances from the fenders. If it needs to move a little to make it even just remove the bumper and wack the bracket with a 5-pound hammer and then test fit, the two center holes are oblong and will allow a little movement but sometimes not enough, once you are happy, tighten the two center bolts. Align the other holes one at a time, because they will be off center, using a tapered long center punch to align and clamp in place with vise grips until the bolts are installed, Install the rest of the bolts and good to go.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
That's essentially what I was doing, as I noticed one bolt hole on each side of the frame was oblong like you mentioned. Still no dice with what tiny adjustment room they give because with how far my bumper needs to move back, the other two holes on each side would be off. Do you guys take the grille off? I need to get the filler strip out of the way if I intend to mess with the bolts for the brackets which mount to the sides of the bumper. Thanks for the info though, Frank. Now I know at least that the bumpers are the same and supposedly I have the right brackets as the one I bought matches the factory bracket. I'll give this thing another go over the weekend.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I have taken the grille off every time I took the bumper off. Is it required? Not sure but I always have taken it off

s98gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a 99 Suburban bumper on my pickup about a year ago. It was a pain to install. Like your experience, nothing seemed to line up. I checked with my uncle who has spent his whole life restoring cars and he suggested elongating holes for adjustment and gave me some shims. I was able to get it fit reasonably well but it took some work and probably wasn't done "correctly." I did remove the grille.

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also take the grille off. With a flexhead wrench you could probably get to the bumper bolts from underneath, but I think it's a lot easier to just pull the grille.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk